How to create a splash on water

Started by choronr, September 16, 2010, 01:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Anyone have some ideas on how to create a splash on water?

Henry Blewer

This may help you create a splash/wave/s using Blender. It is a quick fluid sim I set up. Just move the camera so it is overhead. Adjust the color, and run the generator. The image sequence output can be used to animate waves.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=10625.0
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

choronr

Thanks Henry. The purpose is to create a splash below a fish jumping out of the water to gobble up a dragon fly. This is not for animation. I do not have blender.

Kadri

Quote from: choronr on September 16, 2010, 01:36:53 PM
Thanks Henry. The purpose is to create a splash below a fish jumping out of the water to gobble up a dragon fly. This is not for animation. I do not have blender.

You can comp it in post. Use a splash image from a photo , Choronr . Maybe a little tricky but doable .

choronr

Thanks Kadri, I've done that in Terragen Classic a few times before using Photoshop and will probably have to do it for this idea I've been playing with.

Dune

Perhaps a painted shader (or even an inverted crater shader) to make the basic water displacement at that particular point (with added lateral displacement above a certain height), and a population of transparent balls as drops? Challenging...

choronr

Quote from: Dune on September 20, 2010, 04:04:58 AM
Perhaps a painted shader (or even an inverted crater shader) to make the basic water displacement at that particular point (with added lateral displacement above a certain height), and a population of transparent balls as drops? Challenging...
Thanks Dune; yes, a real challenge. I'm at that point in the image I'm working on where I'll have a fish jumping out of the water trying to snap up a dragon fly - not sure I'll be able to pull it off. Thanks for your suggestion ...I'll be trying this.

jbest

You can also make a splash with functions ... right?
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

choronr

jbest

Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

choronr

Well, thanks to you all on this one; but, I've tried several of your suggestions with no luck. The image is near completion. Maybe some other ideas will come after a good sleep.

choronr

Well, I finally got a great tip from 'BoSt' a member of Terranuts group that I'd like to pass on to you all. As you know, I've been trying to create a 'splash' (or disturbance) on the water's surface.

BoSt  suggested  the following site (ShareCG) and associated link to download 'liquids':

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25522/3D-Model/Liquid

There are dozens of files that can be used to add disturbance effects to the water's surface - and, they are small .obj files. The entire bundle is about 9MB and is free.  You can also use your own image maps for color/texture with them. Upon opening the .obj to your image, you will find that you may have to resize the .obj liquid image to suit your image. Great stuff; just what I was looking for.

Thanks to BoSt.

Bob

choronr

Here is an example of 'Whirling Bubbles' and 'Drops':

Seth

hey funny ^^
i gonna register and download that tonight, looks funny to try them !
thx for the link Bob

choronr

Quote from: Seth on September 30, 2010, 01:06:14 PM
hey funny ^^
i gonna register and download that tonight, looks funny to try them !
thx for the link Bob
You're welcome Seth. They may have limited use; but, every once in awhile, you may find a need for one of these.