Can I warp the distribution shader?

Started by yangin0, November 15, 2010, 10:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yangin0

I want to make a raised snow cover on the top of the mountain.
I put surface shader with displacement, and used distribution shader(limit altitude) as displacement function. But I cannot figure out how to make the line not straight and top smooth. Could you help me?

Kevin F

Create a white snow layer either as a layer or as a child of a layer and use the altitude and slope constraints to your desired height and slope angle, then adjust the fuzzy zone for each one, which can be thought of as a +or- value for the two constraints.

yangin0

kevin, that is what I did for the base snow layer. What I want is to have full snow layer on the top of the mountain, like icing on the cupcake. When I add another surface layer to do that...even with fuzzy zone, the line between two snow layer is too straight. So...how could I warp the altitude mask?

Tangled-Universe

Henry Blewer

I added a power fractal after the 2nd strata and outcrops shader in Anvils Head. I used a small vertical displacement to vary the layered look. The 'top' of the layer was affected also.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

You could of course make a copy of the planet plus displacements, soften it up a bit, raise everything a bit and color it white...  or if you have a snowlayer on top, work with the displacement 'offset' to raise it slightly.

yangin0

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I made a little bit of improvement. But not quite there yet.

I made top snow mask by adding power fractal and distribution,
then smoothed the top using 'compute terrain'

But I still can't seem to get the top snow part raise up nicely...distribution offset doesn't seem to respect blending shader. Any ideas?

And base snow and top snow both are set to white, I don't know why top layer gets brighter.

@Dune; so if I have two planet, how do I mix them together?

Thank you guys for the help. I'm just getting into Terragen and first time posting. I'm impressed how fast you guys comment.

Dune

You don't mix them, but have them in your node network next to eachother, so one line of nodes go from the smoother terrain through compute terrain to surface shaders and into planet 1, the other line of nodes into planet 2. Only one planet needs to have an atmosphere of course.
The surfaces of both planets will intersect, so it needs some figuring out which one should be visible at which places. For instance, if both starting displacement fractals are the same at the beginning, but in one of them you slide the contrast a little to the left, you can imagine the tops going down, and the lower altitudes going up. With higher contrast the opposite will happen. You can also alter the the displacement 'wildness', and lots of other things.
This was made that way.

yangin0

That is very interesting idea. I'm sure I'll make use out of it soon. Thank you very much.