Image map on Fake stones - general image map (textures) questions

Started by Aenea, March 14, 2007, 04:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aenea

Hi folks!

A (hope only brief) question.
I made several different stones for my picture with the fake stone shader...as I want them to get a nice texture I tried to put an image map onto it...but everything I tried hasn´t worked so far...(separate image shader as part of the fake stone shader...etc)
can anyone tell me please where I have to put the texture for those stones?

That´d be kind

Thanks!

Another question on image maps (or textures using in TG2):
Using a texture for my grass surface...I have a small problem, think it has to do with the resolution of the texture....
The texture appears to be normal in the preview, but when it´s layered on the surface layer it´s somehow scaled up....meaning that the brighter grass of this textures makes a huge line over the surface (as if you look through a looking-glass....). It´s a nice effect....gives the surface a nice structure too...but how can I convince my texture to appear as in the preview (or as shown in the texture jpg. file)....
settings as far as I remember at the moment:
I used Y - view (cannot recall the right name at the moment)
center is checked
Size of the texture is 1600*1123 (this is also the entry I made)
and flip x and flip y is also checked

Maybe someone can help?

Thanks in advance!

Aenea

cyphyr

You've probably scaled up too much. The numbers you input for the image size are in meters, not pixels.
Richard Fraser
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Aenea

ahhh.....
So I just have to convert pixel in meters to know the right size?

Aenea

I put in meters....think it may has worked....for it is not a close-up I cannot really tell, but I´ll take a closer look at it....

So any idea on my first question so far????

Aenea

rcallicotte

So does anyone know the answer to this?  Fake stones don't have a population so the size of the image shouldn't be according to the size of the population, since there is no population.  What size should the image be for the bitmaps and should it be "Through Camera" or "Y-projection"?

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

It depends on what you want the end result to look like and what your texture image is. ;) If your texture is the actual texture of rock, or you want it to appear that way, and it should depict an area roughly rock-sized, then make your texture around the same size as your rocks (in meters). This would be best done in PlanY projection which is basically "from above". However many people have used Through Camera projection with good results using other texture maps such as a photograph of the side of a cliff or rocky hill, or a computer generated stone shader, or even something random and unusual. As I said in the other thread there is no one right way to do it.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

sonshine777

I have had pretty good results using the through the camera mode and with the "Y" -Projection, it's like Oshyan said it depends on the image you are using. The through the camera works well if you set the image size to .25 or .5 and turn up the blend edges a little.

rcallicotte

Thanks.  What do the blend edges do?

Quote from: sonshine777 on March 23, 2007, 11:20:50 PM
I have had pretty good results using the through the camera mode and with the "Y" -Projection, it's like Oshyan said it depends on the image you are using. The through the camera works well if you set the image size to .25 or .5 and turn up the blend edges a little.

sonshine777

Quote from: calico on March 23, 2007, 11:25:05 PM
Thanks.  What do the blend edges do?

Quote from: sonshine777 on March 23, 2007, 11:20:50 PM

It softens the edges of the image where they meet when they are tiled. you don't have to do this if your image is seamless.