Planetary scale ridges

Started by Alpha Centurion, February 02, 2011, 07:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha Centurion

Hi,

I'm new to terragen, but I grasp the basics. I want to know how to make ridges like in the attachment. Could anyone please provide a simple solution?

dandelO

This looks about the same as your image.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=9783.0

Edit: Sorry, just saw your comment at the end of that thread.

Kadri

Try the TGD  in the attachment , Alpha Centurion.
It is the same TGC file as Rich2's
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=9783.msg102204#msg102204
I hope you doesn't mind Rich2.
I only changed the coordinates and elevation(is the problem related to this?) and so.

But there is another interesting thing with the file.
When you use the  " Ray trace everything" in the extra render tab it doesn't look right.
Seems related to the atmosphere to me ,but could be some kind of bug too , i don't know!
And in my first try the planet rendered not at all with this setting on.
But i think i exaggerated some of the scale settings of this planet too much by accident .
I am not sure!

Anyway , other then this the file renders OK.

Alpha Centurion

Thanks!

I've seen that file before, and it makes no sense to me, especially considering the error messages I get. Like I said, I need something simple, and the node structure is something I can't wrap my head around in that file.

Surely there must be some (relatively) easy way!

I'm thinking of creating a displacement map from scratch if no one can provide a better answer.

@Kadri: I get 31 warning messages from your file. Apart from that, I see no ridges, and can't zoom in properly to see the planet in the background, which I'm assuming is the one with the ridges.

Kadri

Quote from: Alpha Centurion on February 08, 2011, 08:36:29 PM
@Kadri: I get 31 warning messages from your file...

Do you use the new 2.2 v. of TG2 ? I use the new free version.
TG2 says build 2.2.23.1. at start. Maybe you have an older version ?

Click on the planet on the background in the 3d preview window.
You will see then the XYZ axises of the object for moving it.
Move it where you want the object with your mouse or change the numbers of this planet node.

Look at the picture below. You can change the center settings.
Or the other ones for scaling and so.

You can disable the default planet node if you don't want it.
Click on the planet node (Planet 01) and you will see the enable box. Clear it.

Kadri

Quote from: Kadri on February 02, 2011, 09:24:21 PM
But there is another interesting thing with the file.
When you use the  " Ray trace everything" in the extra render tab it doesn't look right.
Seems related to the atmosphere to me ,but could be some kind of bug too , i don't know!
And in my first try the planet rendered not at all with this setting on.
But i think i exaggerated some of the scale settings of this planet too much by accident .
I am not sure!
Anyway , other then this the file renders OK.

"Ray trace everything

In addition to Ray trace objects, there is a similar-looking option on the Extra tab called Ray trace everything. For most scenes we recommend that you do not enable Ray trace everything because this can slow down the rendering of other types of objects and reduce their quality. Planet (terrain), Sphere, Plane, Disc and Lake objects all render more efficiently and with higher quality with the default micro-polygon 'rasteriser', and are not optimised for ray tracing. Detail in these objects is reduced for the ray tracing engine so that their shadows and reflections render faster.

For most scenes, we recommend Ray trace objects on, Ray trace everything off. Those are the default settings for new render nodes and new scenes. If you have set a custom default project, we recommend that you update it to include these settings."

From here : http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=8300.0

I had forgotten! Today i suddenly remembered it ones again  :-\

@Alpha Centurion : By changing only the higlighted 2 nodes in the Planet 02 node the displacement gets very rougher as you can see in the picture.
There are many possibilities there ; you have to try! But be careful. The render time goes up with too much displacement and there could be errors too.

I don't like nodes too! But they are everywhere nowadays and they are very powerful unfortunately  :)

Kadri

And if you want to use image maps you can use the attached project file  as a basis for your project.
The ZIP file has a very basic image map (change or make your own one ) as a displacement and the TGD file and is easy to use (i hope).
You can make anything you want in this way too.
The first steps can be very frustrating in TG2 but after some basic things that you learn it begins to make sense.
Don't be frustrated! The file sharing section here on the forum has many other projects too.
You can learn many things by only looking at those projects.

You can add these kind of image maps on Rich2's file too if you like .

Alpha Centurion

Thank you, Kadri!

I'll have a closer look at this new material that you've shared! Your last post looks promising. It may have been what I've been looking for!

:)