Borealis - North Light

Started by choronr, March 03, 2011, 09:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on March 04, 2011, 10:18:57 AM
First of all: AWESOME render, I totally love it!

Secondly, you absolutely have to ray trace the atmophere for a scene like this. I bet you could let AA at 3, use atmo sampling of 24-32 and cloud sampling of 1/3 of what you used now to get a good quality render at possibly much lower render times.

Frank
Thank you Frank, these comments including yours are adding up to another, better adjusted render. If we can reduce the render time and reconstruct the cloud settings, we'll be closer to what we wanted to do in the first place. Even a change of aurora color would be nice.

yossam

One question..............why did you use the .obj type for your populations instead of the .tgo? There is a helluva difference in the file size.

Back to looking............

choronr

Quote from: yossam on March 09, 2011, 03:20:45 PM
One question..............why did you use the .obj type for your populations instead of the .tgo? There is a helluva difference in the file size.

Back to looking............
To answer your question, the model was only available as an .obj, not a .tgo.

yossam

I downloaded the .tgo from Xfrogs' site last night. They must have added it to the download.

choronr

Quote from: yossam on March 09, 2011, 05:44:31 PM
I downloaded the .tgo from Xfrogs' site last night. They must have added it to the download.
Glad you have it. Suggestion: The actual Atlas Blue Cedar has beautiful blue colored needles. You might consider taking the needles part into Photoshop or other program and increase the blue color; also, increase the brightness a little. I also took the diffuse setting to the max - this all depends on your lighting of course.

freelancah

Wonderful project. Nice to see people collabing here too!

Oshyan

So it looks like the file you posted yields different results than your final. I did manage to reduce render time significantly (depending on what kind of hardware your original 90hr time was clocked on). The attached image took 8 hours and 25 minutes with 8 render threads on my i7 920. Still a very long render, but better. Unfortunately it is not directly comparable since the end result is so different, but I do think my settings would reduce render time on the actual scene fairly well too.

I will post the TGD once I can verify the render time savings on the actual scene.

- Oshyan

choronr

Oshyan, thank you for taking your time to get into this file. I look forward to your .tgd and study your settings. Both Mark and I feel there are a lot of interesting possibilities for some great looking images here.

Bob

Oshyan

Hi Bob, can you share the actual TGD that made the image(s) in this thread? The one in File Sharing produces the result above, which is too different from your image to be sure of the render time improvement.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on March 11, 2011, 01:22:07 AM
Hi Bob, can you share the actual TGD that made the image(s) in this thread? The one in File Sharing produces the result above, which is too different from your image to be sure of the render time improvement.

- Oshyan
I can upload the .tgd here Oshyan; but, I cannot upload the 'Desert High' .ter file; or, the Atlas Cedar plant. Would the .tgd alone be sufficient?

Oshyan

The TGD would be fine, I have the terrain you sent me, and the tree object is not necessary IMO to test the render time well enough (with raytraced objects it would not add too significantly to the render time).

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on March 11, 2011, 01:30:20 AM
The TGD would be fine, I have the terrain you sent me, and the tree object is not necessary IMO to test the render time well enough (with raytraced objects it would not add too significantly to the render time).

- Oshyan
Thanks; here it is...

Bob

Oshyan

Hmm, is that the same as the one posted before? Because it has the same name and size, and that's the one I based my version on, which looks totally different. I guess it's possible it's a difference in rendering with the alpha, but that would be a pretty dramatic change...

- Oshyan

choronr

Here is the prior one I started with...

choronr

Also, the original one I sent to Mark just before we started the collab...