Look at the Geiger counter reading

Started by penang, March 17, 2011, 07:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eikers

I believe there is no way around nuclear energy for a very long time. Especially if we are to cut back on fossil fuels. Renewable energy has a long way to go to meet the demand of a energy craving world. Fortunately it seems to me that research on nuclear energy production has come along way since todays reactors were conceived.

Thorium reactors seems to be a very promising technology as far as I can tell. The differences compared with an uranium based reactor is that a thorium based fission needs to be deliberately ignited and maintained by means of a neutron radiating source. This source would be a particle accelerator. Remove the neutron source and the reaction stops. The thorium fuel will not need cooling down, and the risk of meltdown or uncontrolled heating is substantially reduced.

Thorium fuel can be used much more efficiently too - nearly all of it compared to the 5 percent of the uranium. The rest of the uranium is enriched to low grade plutonium - the infamous nuclear waste and weapons material - in the process.

I believe molten salt reactor is the key term for this new breed of reactors. I find this very  Here's a link too:
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf62.html

AP

Yup, we would be fools not to consider this technology. That is until we get another Tesla soon and without throwing mud at the person.

freelancah

Nuclear power is still quite safe. Statistically speaking there will have to be a 50 Chernobyls a year before we get to the fatality level of fossil fuels. (quick calculation from the values of latest issue of science magazine, that came out just before the incident(finnish version)).  Yet 36% of our energy production comes from fossile fuels. Approximately 1 coal plant is built in china per week and they dont even have enough power to give electricity for every home.

I think big part of the future is in high yield energy research. Renewable energy alone wont be anywhere near enough in any scenario, not even with substantial technology advances in efficiency . Still, I'm not saying we should put all of our eggs in one basket. We need several good options and renewable certainly is among those..

Btw I've studied electrical engineering in the uni and have over 2 years of experience in operating a 2006 built biofuel plant. I'd say I have some insight into the industry but, still I dont consider myself an expert by any standards. I've noticed that the real experts on this industry are the kind that leave you with no questions after having a talk   ;D

Walli

I don´t know how it is handled in other countries, but here in germany nuclear power is not cheap. It seems to, when looking at the bill. But when you take into account all the money that has to be paid via taxes, then it´s not cheap at all. And until now they still don´t know where to put the radiating waste. I mean, thats almost like building a plane without possibility to land and then say, well, somewhere up in the air we will for sure have a great idea how to land.

I personally think that in theory it should be possible to build safe nuclear plants. But here are two reasons, why this won´t happen:
1) people that plan, build and work at those plants
2) companies that want to maximize their wins
Because of those two points you will never get a safe nuclear plant.

I just hope that they can stopp the catastrophe in Japan. They had enough to suffer from the earthquake.

Eikers

Also I've read somewhere that the plutonium waste from uranium reactors may be reused in thorium reactors acting as the neutron emitting source. In this case the plutonium is inserted in between the thorium fuel in a 1:10 ratio. That would leave much less fuel in need of cooling in case of an accident. I believe this is what they have started doing in India now. There's also at least one plant already using this method in the UK as well.

Being a tech optimist I also hope that the efforts for fusion energy will finally bear fruits. Construction of the latest experimental tokamak fusion reactor started last year in Cadarache in southern France. It is supposed to yield 500 MW using 50 MW of input power to reach the mind blowing 150 million degrees Celsius necessary for the process. More on this at: http://www.iter.org/

If they can see this through nobody will want fission reactors. What a day and age we live in!

AP

Quote from: Walli on March 23, 2011, 05:07:37 AM
I don´t know how it is handled in other countries, but here in germany nuclear power is not cheap. It seems to, when looking at the bill. But when you take into account all the money that has to be paid via taxes, then it´s not cheap at all. And until now they still don´t know where to put the radiating waste. I mean, thats almost like building a plane without possibility to land and then say, well, somewhere up in the air we will for sure have a great idea how to land.

I personally think that in theory it should be possible to build safe nuclear plants. But here are two reasons, why this won´t happen:
1) people that plan, build and work at those plants
2) companies that want to maximize their wins
Because of those two points you will never get a safe nuclear plant.

I just hope that they can stopp the catastrophe in Japan. They had enough to suffer from the earthquake.

That is why the people need to get educated about these new technologies rather then ignorance and fear mongering.
A type of new energy committee needs to be created ran by engineers and scientists who become educated on the new technologies.
The people rise up and demand these technologies to there governing leaders.
The "extreme" environmentalists realize that this stuff will not destroy the world nor taint the water and food supply.
Lastly, let's go after the excess greed/profit of these companies and hold them accountable even if it takes government interaction.