Started by Seth, April 08, 2011, 04:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

Oshyan

I did. Interesting, eh?...

- Oshyan

Seth

yes indeed.
I am working on clouds for 3 days now, having them following cliffs and all... but I must say that if our TG2 clouds could do something like that without so much... tweakings (!) it could be great ;D

Oshyan

Er, can they not? My first thought is it was a rather familiar feature from our 2.2 release and the example movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BwqiD1WPhw

- Oshyan

Seth

hehehe but you know what it take for them to do that uh ?
it is a lot of work and as Martin stated in his tutorial, this technique has limits :)
wouldn't it be great for them to just sit on the ground ? ;)
or just feed them with the compute terrain so they can follow it without having to go through several programs to get an image map and blablabla ?
anyway, as you said, it works... but it is just a pain in the ass' technique right now

Oshyan

Ah I see what you mean. Well certainly improvements can be made. I don't know exactly how the Vue feature works, but it may indeed be easier. Still, biased though I may be, I like our demo video better. ;)

- Oshyan

Seth

Tangled-Universe

It's another 1:1 rip-off from TG2 of course. Not the first one.
I agree with Franck that the workflow in TG2 should be easier.
I wonder how this works in Vue.

@ Franck: with the tutorial you shouldn't have much trouble making clouds follow terrain.
For movement of clouds use the "get frame number" function to get constant speed of clouds.
I can provide you with an example Jon (Hetzen) made for me. Very useful.

Seth

thanks dude ^^
i get it working fine right now, clouds flowing down "mountains" and all...
I was just whinning about the workflow ;)

Oshyan

So for those who are curious, here's how it works in Vue: http://www.geekatplay.com/flvplayer/playervc.php?pathinfo=set5/cloudsaltcontrol
Seems quite similar to me, with similar limitations.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Too bad PS is a UK based company...in the last week it turned out that according to Apple you can patent about anything about design/software, regardless whether something is a logical consequence of availability/limitation of technology and what not. (rounded edges of a phone for instance....that's NOT innovative/revolutionary at all, or the patent on some of the app-icons, just to name an example or two)
No way a European based company can patent such things in Europe (and they are right about this).

Make PS a US-based company and patent everything you come up with and have E-on pay for it ;) lol

FrankB

This one is also interesting. Very TG2-like, but easier from a workflow/usability perspective it seems. I like that you can move the localoized cloud in the preview and the fractal is moving with it, thereby retaining the shape of the cloud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msgsc2NCrmA&NR=1

Tangled-Universe

If you enable "move with texture" in the cloud node then the density shader will be translated together with the localized cloud.
(remember that you need to "plan" using this feature as the density shader will be moved once you enable this setting).

Else the workflow and handling in Vue looks easier, smoother and much faster.

FrankB

ah yes, move with texture is quite new, forgot about it.