Wildlife Analysis

Started by ndeewolfwood, May 01, 2011, 08:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndeewolfwood

some new renders.
i was trying to get a cool surfacing in this serie.
Something who works well at huge scale and close-up too.
I'm pretty happy with the 100m to 800m rocks structures but the upper part need some fine tuning.
For now the render time at HD resolution is pretty low (less than 30min on Mac Book i5+2go+64bits).
I made some variation too see below.
Working on some vegetation right now to get some population.
Comments, tips and tricks are always welcome.

valley013 par BlobbyBarack,

valley017 par BlobbyBarack,

valley012 par BlobbyBarack,

valley007 par BlobbyBarack,

Kadri

They look nice , Ndeewolfwood!
Not sure about the scale of the trees and grass ...Maybe half so big?

Dune

These are fine looking landscapes. I particularly like the way the rough billowy rock is interspersed with eroded areas. Is this an eroded heightfield, an alpine shader, World Machine terrain or a DEM/real terrain?

Tangled-Universe

Very nice terrains! One of the best I've seen in the last couple of months here, all great work!

Quote from: Kadri on May 01, 2011, 08:53:53 PM

They look nice , Ndeewolfwood!
Not sure about the scale of the trees and grass ...Maybe half so big?

I like the scale of the trees, but maybe the grasses/wheats are too big compared to the trees?

Quote from: Dune on May 02, 2011, 03:07:11 AM
These are fine looking landscapes. I particularly like the way the rough billowy rock is interspersed with eroded areas. Is this an eroded heightfield, an alpine shader, World Machine terrain or a DEM/real terrain?

Yeah tell us :) I'm curious too.

Cheers,
Martin

ndeewolfwood

thanks for comments guys.

im not sure about the population too. was just a quick test. Want to do this with another species.

About the terrain.
I start with a alpine fractal terrain with a 1 meter smallest scale.
I tweak the early deposition and early deposition rate and increase the warp amount.

After my compute node i made my rock structure using a surface layer with a voronoi celling plug into child node or displacement i don't remember.

After this is only surface color no displace.
All my color node use 2 powerfractal blend together.
At the end i add few fake stone with a minimum and maximum slope limit. It's helping a lot. The fake stone surface is the same that the rocks but with a displacement multiplier at .1 and a adjust color.

Tweak the fussy zone to get clean transition was the difficult part.

Matt

Very nice. I like seeing the Alpine Fractal put to such good effect :)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

ndeewolfwood

about the alpine fractal : can we do something similar to Clumping variation with it ?

inkydigit

some good stuff here, I too like the 2nd image best, also commented at flickr!
:)

max_thehitman

That loooks fabulous! Stunning lookin´mountains!
Congrats  8)

Matt

Quote from: ndeewolfwood on May 02, 2011, 06:56:56 AM
about the alpine fractal : can we do something similar to Clumping variation with it ?

Not soon, but I would like to add new features to it in future.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Excellent work with shaders here, evidenced by everyone thinking it was an eroded heightfield. Very impressive. My only criticism would be the snow, which looks a bit too noisy/grainy to my eyes.

- Oshyan

Njen

The use of the alpine fractal is so good here, I actually thought this was derived from a DEM. Very nicely done.