Avalanche animation

Started by Hannes, May 27, 2011, 10:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

utterly gobsmacked!!!..... wow,excellent work Hannes!

ndeewolfwood

bien joué fantastic work.

The avalanche effect is really good.
Really good job.

Hetzen

Incredible!!!

How did you get the front bump shape of your cloud PFs? Did you animate the radius of the localised cloud? There looks like there's some warping/scale stretched noise in there too.

Very impressive.

Hannes

I didn't animate the scale, but there are three localised clouds that are the "leaders" of the avalanche. I simply animated the position of them and stretched the cloud fractal by a factor of 2 into the direction they are heading to, but I didn't touch the warping.
The cloud fractals are animated by a transform shader down the y-axis and also a bit into the direction of the avalanche, but not very much.

There are also two bigger localised cloud with different density and noise settings additionally to the three mentioned ones, which are stretched differently.

It took quite a while and a lot of testing to get the motion and the speed of the clouds right.

I hope this makes sense, but I don't think so. That's why I decided to share the file in the file sharing section. Play around with it and have fun.

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

bobbystahr

Quote from: inkydigit on May 28, 2011, 07:51:55 AM
utterly gobsmacked!!!..... wow,excellent work Hannes!

totally agree...only thing other than a bit of front avalanche snow build up would be collapsing trees as the snow/cloud covers them...but really well work'd out...KUDOS.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Eikers

Very convincing effect indeed! I am impressed.
I kind of agree with bobbystahr on the trees - you would see the trees tilt when hit by a small avalanche. But in a bigger avalanche the pressure wave in front throws up so much snow dust that everything else is invisible.

moodflow

Wow, this is very impressive!
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music