Z68 chipset + i7-2600k *w/o* GPU suitable for TG2 display?

Started by Tangled-Universe, May 30, 2011, 03:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Hi All,

I'm in the process of configuring a new PC and I'm running into some doubts.
Initially I planned on putting in a nice graphics card, like a GTX570, but I kind of decided I barely have time for TG2, let alone gaming.
"Kind of decided", since I'm not entirely sure. So in order to be able to put in a graphics card later I decided to go for the Z68 chipset.
Obviously, with this chipset I'm going for an i7-2600K.

I've read good reviews about the Asus P8Z68-V Pro, but I can't find accurate information about openGL support.
Playing videos etc. won't be a problem, but I need to be absolutely sure I won't run into troubles with TG2's display.
Preferably, somewhere in the near future I'd like to get my hands on modelling stuff. Does the same thing account here?
So what's best to do?

Cheers,
Martin

Hetzen

I'd go for a mid range Nvidia card. Nvidia drivers seem to be more supported than the ATI drivers. There's no real need for an all pumping Gfx card in most Gfx packages, and certainly not worth the extra expense imo. HD gaming? Sure. I seriously doubt TG will run any faster.

Hetzen

Henry Blewer

I have read that the ASUS P8P67 LE LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2200 ATX Motherboard is pretty good. $140.00 at Amazon.

It does not support the native I7 2600 K built in video, but graphics cards which will run new 3D games well for me on my P4 system are not very expensive.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys...

I'm not worried about TG2's *performance* with or without a GPU-card. I know TG2's performance doesn't rely on this.
What I want to know is if I don't have a GPU card whether the display of TG2's elements like wireframe etc. is still working and also fast.

Jon, I know I could do 3D apps with a card with less specs than a GTX570.
The decision is to buy a Z68 system in case I DO regret not buying a GPU card *for games*.
So if I want to have one for games it will be something like a GTX570 (full HD stuff, good enough GPU card for 2 years at least).

A P67 board is not an option at this moment, because I can't use the on-board graphics and I'm thus obligated to buy a GPU card.
Z68 = on-board video like H67 + overclock ability like P67 + possibility to add GPU card later.

Tangled-Universe

I've looked a bit in the wrong corner, a bit dense, as the CPU's IGP will be responsible for the display and not the chipset itself  :-\
So better put: can I expect problems with having a 2600K's IGP displaying TG2 (and other 3D packages perhaps)?

Oshyan

We're not aware of any problems specifically with Intel's modern onboard graphics chipsets. Older ones can be problematic, but for a couple years now the onboard has been ok. Performance may be somewhat less than a dedicated card, but it should be acceptable at least.

- Oshyan

choronr

I posed your question to my computer guru Nick; here is his reply:

'I'm not super sure, but OpenGL support will be more of a specification of  his video card that he eventually chooses to go with than his motherboard.  But I could be wrong on that.'

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Oshyan. I'll see what others have to say and then make up my mind. I could just try it without and see how it goes...

Thanks too Bob. I suppose in this case you can consider my new CPU as the graphics card, since the i7-2600K has an on-board graphics processor.
Initially I stated my question not correctly by assuming it was my motherboard. A bit dense, like I said.

choronr

Another comment by my friend...

'Hmm, yeah I can't really find anything on the built in video card.  The motherboard specs just say it has "Intel Integrated Graphics." However, since he wants to "possibly" game and do Terragen, an integrated video card is definitely going to keep him down. It might "work" but I can't imagine his experience will be a pleasant one.  I would REALLY recommend at minimum buying a super cheap video card, just to free up the processing power on the motherboard.'

Henry Blewer

All info I have found recommend a dedicated graphics card. The I7 2400k graphics are considered ok, but not able to really throw pixels around. Tom's Hardware has some good articles. So does Maximum PC.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Tangled-Universe

A day or two ago I read the IGP of the i7-2600K is performing VERY well. It performs almost similar to mid-range GPU's.
Nonetheless I decided to go for the GTX570 in my new system.
Actually, I ordered it today. Check here if you're interested: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=11545.msg125399#msg125399

Cheers,
Martin

jaf

Those 570's are very nice cards.  I've got a 460 I'm very happy with.

Now all you have to do is download the free CUDA toolkit...... ;D
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: jaf on June 15, 2011, 03:43:06 PM
Those 570's are very nice cards.  I've got a 460 I'm very happy with.

Now all you have to do is download the free CUDA toolkit...... ;D

And then? ;)
Unfortunately I know nothing about programming and such.

I hope the 570 will keep me up for the next two years.
I will mostly game, if I do at all, at 1680x1050 and occasionally 1920x1080.