Reviews of different scene generators

Started by prasad5787, July 17, 2011, 06:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prasad5787

Hi Guys,

I planning to buy software for creating terrains that looks more realistic to natural world.

I top listed 5 softwares and ranked in an order doing small reaserch by reading in forums here and there as following way:

For Ease of Use and producing photo realistic outputs
Ranking from Top to Bottom
1) TG2
2) World Machine
3)Mojo World
4)Bryce 7
5)BlueBerry3D

Could anybody help me to organise ranking from top to bottom or introduce any other software if I am missing in the top order please.

Many thanks,
Prasad.

jaf

I would put Vue in the top three, probably 2nd to TG2.  Also, I don't think World Machine belongs in that category.  It's great for terrain creation, but it doesn't have the render engine for photo realistic scenes.

Not sure how much support MojoWorld gets anymore.  Same with Bryce.

I'm not familiar with blueberry3D and had problems finding examples at their website.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Oshyan

I think it's important to clarify the requirements. He says "software for creating terrains that looks more realistic to natural world". If that's really the focus, then much of the list becomes less relevant and many others should be added, e.g. Geocontrol. If he wants a full rendering package like TG2 or Vue, then World Machine does indeed not belong. Further, if terrain generation and editing is indeed the focus, then the next question is what will the terrain be used in/for. Depending on the target application, the output formats of your terrain editor will matter more.

- Oshyan

jaf

You're correct Oshyan.  I guess I read "photo realistic" into "realistic".
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

neon22

So adding GeoControl2 to generate terrains - seems relevant to me.