Image map shader

Started by Vortex, September 11, 2011, 06:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortex

Hello guys,

Im stuck on this image map shader, im trying ot add a giant crack to the planet. My image is black and white its very basic, basicaly a black line with ZERO noise.

However when i add it to the Image map shader add displacement it doesnt seem to do anything, unless i increase the "Displacement amplitude" to say 100, but then the noise is terrible.

Am i doing something wrong?

Or is there a better method to add custom giant cracks to planets?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Matt

Can you be more specific about the noise you're seeing? Could you post an image for us to look at? If the work is confidential, perhaps you could produce a simple test to illustrate the problem for us.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBlackHole

It could be jpg artifacts. Make your texture again but save it in bmp this time.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Dune

QuoteOr is there a better method to add custom giant cracks to planets?
Why not use a simple shape, warped if necessary. Like this...

Vortex

@Matt : I will post an image as soon as i get home from work.

@TheBlackHole : I have tried many different formats but the same result :(

@Dune : HOLY CRAP  :o , that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, that's friken amazing! Thanks very much for the share of the file. Will look into this more closely when I get home.

I will still post the image because I would still like to no why I'm having the issue, thanks a bunch guys greatly appreciated.  ;D

Vortex

Ok so i tried to get as much on screen as possible so you could see,

All im trying to do it use the map to dig a hole in the ground, idealy i would like to use a more complex "crack map" which will have moderate noise in it but if i cant get this to work with a map with no noise then i have no chance with a detailed "crack map" :(

Once again thanks guys and thanks in advance for any help.

Kadri

Vortex i did try the same thing myself and there was no problem.

Do you use the last version of TG2 ?

Sometimes with low render settings the scene looks different. Try with better ones.
Or you have somewhere to much displacement etc.

Maybe you could post the TGD here with the basic test setting...

cyphyr

From your screen grab it looks like your using camera projection rather than (I would have thought more useful in this case) plan y.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Vortex

Hi guys, sorry for the late response,

@ Kadri : Yes I have the latest version :) I will post the .tgd when I get back this evening.
Perhaps you could post your version too, so I can see the setting you have used to make it work :)

@ cyphyr : Yes camera projection is what I'm using. However I did try other setting but got the same result.

Many thanks for your responses

Vortex

Hi, i attach the tgd file and the jpg file im using, it just basic.

Thanks again in advance

freelancah

The problem is that you havent assigned a camera which you use to project. Connect camera to the image map and it will work..Or change the projection method.

Dune

Indeed, no problem.

Vortex

@freelancah : DOH, Thanks very much :)

@Dune : Thanks very much again,

One more thing does the file attached crash anybody eles Terragen?

Im using the file Dune gave me, ive added another "faultline" and changed the setting, i also want to add more this way but my Terragen keeps crashing.

Phenom X4 II 3.4Ghz

8Gb Ram

1Gb Radeon HD  5830

Running Terragen 64bit

Once again thanks in advance guys.

Edit: i have realised that if i just use node network it doesnt crash but if i click the "Renderers" tab Terragen crashes  :'( im so new to the program i can deal with out the preview screen yet especially when im trying to place shaders i have no idea where there going unless i click on copy co-ords :(

So yea any help or reason why this is happen and a possible better solution to what im doing now would be great.

Edit : Ok so i found out the multi shader was causing the issue ive switch to merge shader and that seems to be working perfectly :D