NVIDIA OpenGL Driver Error in 64-bits

Started by Mohawk20, May 14, 2011, 01:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Whenever I try to render an animation in the newest release on my 64-bits system, I get an error from the NVIDIA OpenGL Driver.
It says:
The NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Please visit NVIDIA Support for help.
Error code: 4

A search on the Nvidia forums gave this info:
"It resembles issues also reported on Vista - the GPU/driver doesn't respond
for a while and the OS decides to reset the GPU/driver. I don't recall the
specific workaround."

I can't render one frame without getting this error.
Are there any more reports of this error?
I did update my graphics drivers, they were getting a bit outdated, but that didn't help.
Howgh!

Oshyan

Strange that this only happens when rendering an animation which, as far as I'm aware, shouldn't use OGL at all. Does it happen when you play/scrub the timeline? Have you tried with the 3D preview closed? Perhaps try disabling object display in the 3D preview?

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

I forgot to mention that I work with 3 monitors in Hybrid-SLI (meaning one is connected to the Motherboard's VGA port).
Maybe having the GUI distributed over 3 monitors is what's getting the graphics drivers confused?

I'll try without the preview window...
Howgh!

Oshyan

Oh yes, that could well be causing problems. Although I'm fairly sure Jo, if not others on the dev/test team, use multi-monitor.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

I have set it to run over night, without the 3d preview window on.
It's still running...
No error.

I'm away all day, so I'm letting it run on, see what happens.
Howgh!

Mohawk20

After a full day of rendering (on 3 of the 4 cores mind you) it's still running, now that the 3d preview is turned off.
Still, maybe something to look into?
Howgh!

Oshyan

It's only something we can look into if we can reproduce it, I think. I'm running an NVidia card on my new laptop, rendering an animation now just fine. Nvidia changes their drivers all the time. I wonder if a future update will resolve it...

- Oshyan

Seth

i have the same problem here !
Windows 7 64bits
Nvidia GeForce GTX560 (driver updated)

crashes on renders
but I can't say why... sometimes I can render during 80 hours without any problem, then crashing after 20 minutes render...

Zairyn Arsyn

i had the same problem with tg2 and some other programs when i first got my new computer, for some reason it has'nt done it again, since like the first week i had it
my drivers were up to date btw.

the monitor would go black for a few secs... then come back on, then an error message.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Seth

Quote from: zaai-three-nine on October 05, 2011, 02:34:19 PM

the monitor would go black for a few secs... then come back on, then an error message.

yup. exactly

Dune

I'm about to purchase an i7, and accompanying hardware. Should I take something in consideration regarding the type of graphics card to avoid this problem? I was planning to take the asus HD5670 on a P8P67 (B3) mobo, or the P8Z68-V Pro mobo, which has an internal graphics card. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on November 19, 2011, 03:07:44 AM
I'm about to purchase an i7, and accompanying hardware. Should I take something in consideration regarding the type of graphics card to avoid this problem? I was planning to take the asus HD5670 on a P8P67 (B3) mobo, or the P8Z68-V Pro mobo, which has an internal graphics card. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've asked the same question here when I configured my i7. Oshyan replied he didn't expect any problems with an internal graphics card for OpenGL display.
That's based on the reports, which weren't there :)

Besides that I didn't notice any performance increase when I switched from my 8600GTS card to my dozens of times faster GTX570.
The wireframe shading and such didn't feel (much) faster.

If you choose your z68 board and it turns out that it won't work properly, which I really don't expect, then you can always choose to plug in an HD5670.
You'll probably lose 20 euros or so, since the z68 is slightly more expensive I believe, but on the other hand you might save yourself a graphics card.

I would also search for OpenGL issues with ATi cards as I believe they have more difficulties with the OpenGL standard compared to Nvidia cards.
This is subject to debate though, but ATi has had issues.

Dune

Thanks, Martin. I think I'll stick to the Z68 board, indeed. See what happens.

Would it make any difference in render speed, by the way, if you have only a HD or a combination of HD and SSD? I don't think so myself, but I am not an expert. Reading a review now about the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Sandy Bridge Motherboard  http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/42933-asus-p8z68-v-pro-z68-sandy-bridge-motherboard-review-4.html and it has some lines about caching...

Tangled-Universe

This function uses an SSD as cache for your conventional HDD.
It's not as fast as an SSD alone, but gives great performance boost for your HDD.
It would still mean you need to buy a 40GB Intel SSD to use this caching.

However, SSD drives are useful for superfast startup of pc, installing/starting software.
It makes no difference in renderspeed.
Only brute force and RAM are needed ;D

Dune