Shore Foam

Started by choronr, November 07, 2011, 01:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

I've yet to find or discover by working in TG2 a good reliable way to achieve shore foam such as we did with the 'water works' plug in using Terragen Classic. There are a number of threads and files shared that I have tried with TG2 - all leave something to be desired; or, haven't worked for me. Maybe Jo Meder can jump in here and offer some ideas.

Wouldn't it good if there were some things in the works in new updates by Planetside?

Bob

jo

Hi Bob,

Waterworks was fairly simple and I think many of its effects could be reproduced using function nodes, which is the main reason I haven't spent much time on doing something similar. I think others have shown this is possible and even surpassed what it could do. Maybe I'll have a go at a node though, might be a fun diversion.

Regards,

Jo

choronr

Thanks Jo, looking forward to what you may come up with.

AP

pixelpusher636

Quote from: jo on November 09, 2011, 05:19:14 PMHi Bob,

Waterworks was fairly simple and I think many of its effects could be reproduced using function nodes, which is the main reason I haven't spent much time on doing something similar. I think others have shown this is possible and even surpassed what it could do. Maybe I'll have a go at a node though, might be a fun diversion.

Regards,

Jo
How'd that "go" at that node go Mr. Meder?
I for one would much rather have a simplified option like your Water Works plugin from the TC days. While I understand that this (and more) can be achieved with the dreaded blue function nodes.. not all of us (speaking for myself) have ever or will ever be good at Trigonometry or Math. So simplicity would be king in this case.
I know I can search the forums and find answers but I can also have perfectly good example scene files shared with me. The minute I plug those nodes in to my scene the whole system breaks. I can either get no shore foam at all or I get it everywhere on the water except an area between the land and where the foam to eternity starts. That small area where the foam isn't... is in fact where the foam should be.

I've tried all inverse blue nodes hoping to luck out and invert to the shore and it just turns all foam off.
So until this finally (if ever) makes the priority list in Terragen it's going to be serene, waveless water for me. :) Fingers crossed that one day...
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Dune

I don't know if this is a reply to Bob (I just see a large quote), but Bob has died years ago. Very nice guy, and still missed.

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Dune on April 05, 2021, 03:16:39 AMI don't know if this is a reply to Bob (I just see a large quote), but Bob has died years ago. Very nice guy, and still missed.
Well Sir I believe it was a reply to Bob as well as a message to Mr. Meder. However, knowing that Bob has passed certainly makes this all more depressing. Sorry Dune.
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

WAS

The level of complexity in water works, to be set up for every scene, makes it a dreaded area to approach with functions. A lot we do still lacks a lot it could do, or is poorly set up. And it all requires mass tweaking per scene cause of scales, geometry, etc. Why shaders for this haven't been added is beyond me. There is still a lot missing from TG in these aspects that is left for the user to just learn high level math, which limits TGs users severely, or rip from other people and hope you can adapt it to your scene. I remember those days of not knowing what the heck to do when it came to complex functions I imported. Still have issues with some stuff like recently with the pinch and bulge function shared.

These sort of tools are really crucial to bring TG up in line and be desirable for the average users out there, and not hope to win over highly technical people that already have standards applied.

Also RIP Bob. I love forums for these reasons. Peoples lives live on in ways. Literally snapshots of life.

Dune

sjefen

Quote from: WAS on May 28, 2021, 04:24:55 PMThe level of complexity in water works, to be set up for every scene, makes it a dreaded area to approach with functions. A lot we do still lacks a lot it could do, or is poorly set up. And it all requires mass tweaking per scene cause of scales, geometry, etc. Why shaders for this haven't been added is beyond me. There is still a lot missing from TG in these aspects that is left for the user to just learn high level math, which limits TGs users severely, or rip from other people and hope you can adapt it to your scene. I remember those days of not knowing what the heck to do when it came to complex functions I imported. Still have issues with some stuff like recently with the pinch and bulge function shared.

These sort of tools are really crucial to bring TG up in line and be desirable for the average users out there, and not hope to win over highly technical people that already have standards applied.

Also RIP Bob. I love forums for these reasons. Peoples lives live on in ways. Literally snapshots of life.
I agree. Would be nice to have an option for this. For me, the blue nodes are way to complicated. I remember my tropical scene and how much I had to work on that. I also know it would be way more work if I where to reuse that in another scene. I'd like to see something more user friendly on this.

RIP Bob.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB