splash screen then nothing

Started by phey, January 16, 2012, 03:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phey

when I start terragen 2 the splash screen appears and then nothing happens. I have a quad core/xp pro/nvidia 8800 gts card/4gigs ram/2.4 gigs/

It worked on my old computer running win 2000.

Any ideas?

Oh! when ctrl/alt/delete is done the program was running but never showed up on desktop?

jaf

There's a free program called "dependswalker" at http://dependencywalker.com/ which may help you (there are 32 and 64 bit versions.)  Basically, you run it like this:

Start dependswalker
Open tgd.exe (from the file|open menu n dependswalker)
profile it (from the Profile menu (Start Profiling) in dependswalker
View the resultant logs.

I would recommend stopping your virus checker (you may wish to try tg2 with your anti-virus program stopped anyway, just to eliminate it.)  Also, it is not unusual to have errors like DEVMGR.DLL, IESHIMS.DLL, and WER.DLL called out.  Those dll's are not usually the problem.

Any, you will get a long log file that may help pin-point the problem
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

dandelO

And also try to update your display drivers, it maybe(it has been many, many times this type of problem has popped up before) only that causing your issue...

phey

I may give that program a try to see whats up.

But as to updating the nvidia driver to the 285 that is a no go for my Vue programs causes way to many crashes.

At worst I will not be able to run Terragen 2 on this computer. But I still have the old one to set back up if all else fails. Just where would I put it.

Thanks for the input.

Paul J

Kadri

Did you try the classic way first Paul ? Like uninstalling TG2 and maybe installing it in a different folder (just in case) ?
You could try Chkdsk etc. too.

phey

Kadri,

Yes I did I unintalled T2 and then downloaded the T2.3 and loaded that. I also ran the depend22 prog and it gave the warning that jaf listed. So I began just clicking on the splash and T2 came up but it is really wiggy looking dialog boxes are missing a lot of text and options and functions. I will try a few more things but in the end I can always run it on the 2000 machine as that would be all that would be on it. It ran on that machine with no problems, it's just slow to render that's all.

So I could do that and it would leave this machine for Vue, Geocontrol, and Daz. That's not to bad, could be worse.

Paul J

Kadri

Quote from: phey on January 16, 2012, 08:31:44 PM
...T2 came up but it is really wiggy looking dialog boxes are missing a lot of text and options and functions...

Someone from Planetside may say something about this here , but this looks more like a graphics card and-or driver issue to me.

dandelO

Quote from: Kadri on January 16, 2012, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: phey on January 16, 2012, 08:31:44 PM
...T2 came up but it is really wiggy looking dialog boxes are missing a lot of text and options and functions...

Someone from Planetside may say something about this here , but this looks more like a graphics card and-or driver issue to me.

Indeed.

phey

Yeah it could well be a driver issue. But I am waiting to hear back from E-ON on the latest drivers it supports. I know from checking out the Nvidia forums and other sites the 285+ is a little wiggy. From what I have gathered the 270 series is more stable, So right now I am in never never land as to what to try next, the card is good no problems there. Just which driver is the best all round is the thing.

One step forward two steps back.

Paul J

Oshyan

For troubleshooting purposes, try adding "-no3dpreview" (without quotes) to the shortcut for TG2 (or you can start it from the commandline with this parameter). This will turn off the 3D preview on startup and could tell you if it's an OpenGL/graphics driver issue (which it does sound like).

- Oshyan

phey

Oshyan

It does seem like a driver issue. I just downloaded the most recent Nvidia driver the 290.53 for windows xp and their site says it supports my card a Geforce 8800 GTS 640 mb clock speed 513 mhz.

So I am going to install that and see what happens. I hope it does not mess with my Vue software. The 285.58 did.

Now this driver does not support DirectX 11 which I do not have on the system. It does say it supports Opengl 4.0, and Cuda and 3d vision and one more something like phys something.

The Nvidia site seems to be mostly about game playing which I am not doing and not much about rendering programs.

Thanks a bunch wish me luck.

Paul J

phey

Bummer! >:(

No change to T2 here is a screen capture to see what I mean. I am about to just give up. Now I have to see if this driver update messes with other programs.

]

phey

No Problemo with the other programs. Ran a quick render in Vue and all's good. Desktop is even a little more friendly.

It is not a driver issue. I have tried three different drivers and it looks and acts the same with each one. The only thing this poor boy can say is T2 does not like my video card. Too bad I am not getting another one.

So I Surrender. White flag and all.  ;)

Paul J

Oshyan

Did you try it with the "no3dpreview" option I mentioned above? It would still be a useful troubleshooting step. From the screenshot it still appears to be graphics driver/card related, though I understand it's a TG2-specific issue. From the screenshot it looks like you're using the "classic" theme. What happens if you switch to the normal theme?

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

Another thing to try is that somewhere in the Display settings for Windows (I forget where right now) there is a slider which allows you to turn down hardware acceleration. This is in the Displays control panel, not the settings for your video card.Try moving that slider to the left to see if it makes any difference. Perhaps move it all the way to the left for starters. If it does make a difference try increasing it until you get problems again.

Regards,

Jo