Painted Shader

Started by DannyG, January 19, 2012, 05:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

I have read that the painted shader has memory issues  in the current build of v2, however is it normal to triple my render times?
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

I wouldn't think so, but it really depends on what you're doing with it. What are you using it for? Perhaps you are masking something that itself increases render time dramatically for example (e.g. water or alpine shader).

- Oshyan

DannyG

I am painting a est 30 mtr long path over a 2 procedural surface layers, The path is made up of 3 surface layers. I have the Painted Shader plugged into the three layers (The Path) With it disabled the scene renders very quickly as soon as I enable the shader, it slows the whole render down, ex From the sky down, its not just taking long to render the path. It really slows the whole process down big time

I5 2.27 ghz 64 Quad 8 gigs of ram nvidia G105m
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Oshyan

So with the painted shader disabled, the 3 surface layers of the "path" are enabled and render fully, or are they masked/blended in such a way that they then don't show up at all? Posting an example of the resulting render (or better yet a TGD) would help.

- Oshyan

DannyG

Heres the tgd.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Oshyan

The Painted Shader node group ("Path") doesn't appear to be attached to anything in that TGD. I tried attaching it a few places in the node tree, but it never made a visual difference. In either case enabling/disabling it resulted in identical render time and resulting image. The scene relies on a whole lot of external resources so what I got here may be too different from what you're working with to accurately test, but the main issue in the attached file is that the Painted Shader node set isn't attached anywhere.

- Oshyan

DannyG

I am not @ my home termial at the moment, however, I must have uploaded the incorrect tgd, If you plug the grass into the "path 1" node than through the path out to the planet and activate the painted shader the path will appear in red. I am very new with the painted shader obviously, if you could take another quick gander at it I would apprecate it.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Oshyan

Not able to make it work with your directions. Just post the working version when you can, I'll take a look then.

- Oshyan

DannyG

Oshyan
Thank you for another quick reply, not seeing it, its probably a compute terrain node. I will sort it out and repost, again thanks for addressing this
Danny 
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

DannyG

Heres the correct file. bypassing the path I deleted the compute node needed to activate and painter
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Oshyan

Seems to be nearly identical render time here with it enabled or disabled: 5 minutes and 1 second vs. 5 minutes and 2 seconds for a 500x375 version; I will try full-size overnight to see if it makes a difference. The path does appear/disappear, so it's clearly changing the render, just not the render time. Keep in mind of course that I don't have the heightfields, objects, and other assets used, so it may depend on those, it's hard to say.

- Oshyan

DannyG

Not quite sure what the deal is. For me the "Full Scene" @ .6 quality renders 500 X 275 8 mins with path disabled and 13 min w/ it enabled. Its obviously something on my end, and not the program itself, that I think we have established. I don't think its necessary for you to do a full render as I would think this would prove to have the same results yes ? I am still working with it, my problem will show itself eventually
Oshyan again, thanks for the extra time on this
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Oshyan

Same results with the higher resolution renders, as you would expect. But I wanted to make sure.

At this point the next step, if you want to take it, would be to pull all the resource files together in an archive (zip file) and send them to me somehow. I could provide FTP space for example, or you could use something like YouSendIt. But if you feel like it may be something specific to your machine or aren't that worried about tracking it down further, I'm not going to press the issue. ;)

- Oshyan

DannyG

I sent you an message to your co.uk address

Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

DannyG

Thanks for the quick analysis on the file Oshyan, this is obviously a problem on my end not the program. Thanks again

Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com