World Machine and Terragen 2

Started by Costaud, January 07, 2007, 12:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Costaud

Terrains made with World Machine (and other apps) are too small when imported in Terragen 2, the terrain imported look like boxed in the default heightfield shader, any idea how to correct this?

3DGuy

Since the terrainload is a function of the heightfieldshader it's to be expected that it's restricted to the heightfieldshaders boundaries.

JohnnyBoy

You can adjust the size under heightfield generate. If you want it to be even with the ground of the planet then click the Add Operator button - select Adjust Vertical. Add height until its even. :)

Costaud

Thanks JohnnyBoy that's the trick.

firesuite

Quote from: JohnnyBoy on January 07, 2007, 02:45:14 PM
You can adjust the size under heightfield generate. If you want it to be even with the ground of the planet then click the Add Operator button - select Adjust Vertical. Add height until its even. :)

Thats good, ive been opening my WM files in TG1 adjusting them and saving them out before using them in TG2. works for me :)

Bluefinger

That's because I found WM seems to like making the minimum altitude a negative value of the maximum altitude (or close enough at least). Annoying at times, but that's why I keep TG 0.9 on my system, since all you have to do is modify the terrain altitude values until there is no negative minimum altitude. If only I could tweak with the output in WM to prevent this. Hope this at least clears things up.  ;)

Maximus

I'm having issues with this, major issues. What adjustments do you guys do in Terragen 0,9 before you export them out and import them into Terragen 2 ? i can't seem to get it right no matter what i do. :(

/ Max

Harvey Birdman

Can I ask a totally noobish question? What is the purpose of using these two together; in what way/application is World Machine superior to TG2, and vice versa?

Will

World Machine is easyer to use for some.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Maximus

World Machine is easier and faster and you can pre-generate your landscapes so TG2 won't have to do that and then your scenes should render faster as the data is already there, it's like if you play with DEM's. Besides World Machine produces some stunning results, check it's website for more info. :) (i bought my copy yesterday so i'm using it all the time now)

/ Max

rcallicotte

Sometimes, I prefer using Bryce and then exporting to BMP and then converting within Terragen .9 to make a TER for TG2.  I seem to find more variety this way, but perhaps part of this is the learning curve on TG2.  If I can do the same and more in TG2, then I want to learn this.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Maximus on April 17, 2007, 01:49:09 PM
World Machine is easier and faster and you can pre-generate your landscapes so TG2 won't have to do that and then your scenes should render faster as the data is already there, it's like if you play with DEM's. Besides World Machine produces some stunning results, check it's website for more info. :) (i bought my copy yesterday so i'm using it all the time now)

/ Max

I am waiting for professional version...in the mean time I would appreciate if someone could point me to WM tutorials or other learning materials

thanx
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Maximus

The Pro version will cost more, no idea how much more tho but i hope it won't be alot. However if you get the Standard version then i guess you can upgrade for a lower cost to the new Pro thingy when it's done.

Anyways you really don't need that many tutorials for this, the basics on how you use it is in the manual and the rest you can find via Google or ask on it's forum for help.

/ Max

bigben

Adjusting altitudes: Add a heightfield adjust vertical shader and set the min/max altitudes

As for size, you can also adjust the world size in WM so it's bigger when it imports into TG (World commands > World size)