Koyaanisqatsi (WIP)

Started by DannyG, January 24, 2012, 02:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

tinkering with Mr Hunds classic Koyaanisqatsi terrain, added a 3rd (513) butte from his tmd file to get some balance on this POV, some scaling issues on the cactus are noted, Comments critiques and full on bashings are welcomed  ;D as I would like this to be as real as possible.

NWDA Dry bush pack
Wallis cactus and dry grass patches
Mr lampost @ 1.8 m
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Henry Blewer

I would click on the 'LIKE' button if there was one. I would try a render with slightly softer clouds. This would also look cool with early morning light hitting the buttes. All in all a very good render.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

inkydigit

agree with Henry, Danny...great terrain and set up, softer clouds would make this a winner!
:)

DannyG

Thanks njeneb and Inky !, I softened the clouds and dropped the sun for some deep shadows and darkened up the sand a bit, The scaling of plants is very noticeable now as I am narrowing things down, nextime around  ;D
Thank you for the look
*Postwork -  contrast, color and sharpening
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Jo Kariboo

The last are better. Nice terrain!

FrankB

Hi Danny,

I think this (the terrain) looks a bit too much TG Classic-like. I think the steep rock wall needs some interesting displacement, and also some sort of color variation to make it look more realistic. Try and add a power fractal to the color function input of the surface layer for the wall at least, you'll see that will make a difference. You could also use another PF to blend the strata in and out in places, so that it doesn't look as regular all over the place.
Hope you don't mind my suggestions.

Cheers,
Frank

DannyG

Thanks Frank, completely don't mind your input on this, I have PF plugged into the color and displacement inputs in the surface layers, The noise is at its default Perlin however,  I also cut the features scale on the PF to help the rock, it doesn't look right and I couldn't figure out why. Displacements as you mentioned might turn this in the right direction
Heres another update, mostly on scaling of the plants, and the smaller scaled PF and deleted one rock layer as its looks to built up in the previous render
Thanks
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Henry Blewer

I sometimes add a surface layer which is controlled by the altitude and slope settings. By using a lighter rock color, it will highlight the top surfaces of the strata layers. A power fractal can be used to mask parts of the surface layer; this breaks up the strata layers, but makes them pop out more in places.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

DannyG

Thks Henry, good old stratagen made this a whole lot easier  ;D, Learning everything all over again
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

DannyG

#5  ::) Populations update the 12 foot high cati were really pissin me off  :-* slightly darker rock as well. Done with this version to be honest, stripping it down and starting over. learned a few more things on this one ^ ^
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

DannyG

Some changes added Johns classic Big Benter terrain and a few buttes I made in geocontrol. Happy with the rock textures still a wip

Comments and critiques are welcomed
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

choronr

That is one fine looking terrain Danny. You're making some nice progress here. I've got some Saguaros make by lightning I'd be glad to share with you if you like. I got out in the desert and took some shots of these cacti which he used to develop them.

Color variation on the mountain helps a great deal. Consider bands of color (varying shades of you base color so as not to make them too bold).

DannyG

I appreciate the look advise & offer Bob, I certainly won't refuse  ;D  The cati I have in the above render, I'm not sure where I got the little buggers. The folder named Cactus1_Cactus has no read me. I have seen those Saguaros by Lighting in your renders, they look good. Thank you sir ^ ^
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com