Moving Clouds - Density Fractal Warp

Started by dandelO, February 15, 2012, 05:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I figured it would take more render time.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

choronr

dandelO

Thanks, everyone! :)

I tried the same thing with a big billowy cumulus but the render time was just intolerable for me here. I may leave a small one running as I know it looks very nice from my tiny tests but it might take some time to render it out. If you're planning on doing a large billowy warp movement, values of '0.01' increments work very well for this.
I warped a large cloud from '0.25' to '0.275' over 250 frames and that was still a bit too much because you'll want the large features to have minimal movement while the smaller parts gently 'boil', too large values move the whole cloud too much so keep it really subtle for best effect. Using a secondary warp on the density fractal might give you more control of the warp amount but I prefer to use the density fractal's own warp settings, as it warps according to the actual shape of the fractal and not any secondary warp function.

I'll post back here if I manage to render out a decent cumulus warp sequence worth sharing. :)

Matt

Quote from: dandelO on February 24, 2012, 10:02:29 AM
I warped a large cloud from '0.25' to '0.275' over 250 frames and that was still a bit too much because you'll want the large features to have minimal movement while the smaller parts gently 'boil', too large values move the whole cloud too much so keep it really subtle for best effect.

Because of this, you might want to turn off "less warp at feature scale" so that the smaller features can move more. Then the whole fractal will warp, not just the largest octaves. But you might lose some of the interesting effects of different octaves moving at different speeds.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

What if you blend a smaller sized fractal by a big sized (to define the total cloud), and only animate/warp the smaller sized, or animate/warp them separately?