Scary experience

Started by Dune, March 26, 2012, 03:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

It's getting more complicated. I adviced autoruns, checked of some items that seemed unnecessary, and rebooted. Couldn't reboot it just became black all over  :-[ So I tried the thing you adviced (before I read your message), but couldn't get further than a prompt saying /windows after pressing R for repair and selecting the drive to repair (I, which used to be D, but somehow XP changed that to I, due to some failure it detected). So repair didn't seem possible. Started in safe mode, opened autoruns again, checked the unchecked items, saved and rebooted. Pff, back in XP. But it still takes a long longtime and apps start up really slow.
But in the meantime I had done a chkdsk /p from the dos prompt, and it found that there were some mistakes. But I wouldn't know how to repair. I did, however download Seatools for windows, which should be able to check the HD and maybe repair it from a startup cd, which I will make soon. Will be continued... I hope.

I also don't know, and maybe someone can tell, if a repair install (if I manage) or a clean install will keep the other software and its shortcuts untouched or will it erase the whole partition?

Kadri

Be careful Ulco. I would use the chkdsk or other tools before Seatools .
I don't remember all the settings in Seatools but i think it is more for Hardware errors.
For file system errors -windows errors etc. you are maybe better to use windows tools.
I do not remember others then chkdisk unfortunately .
If these are not sufficient then i would try Seatools. Some settings of Seatools are aggressive naturally.

http://www.modernstreet.com/windows/windows-chkdsk-utility/
http://help.isu.edu/index.php?action=faq&catid=31&docid=668
http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=5097

Be careful with the HD's . If you have more then one unplug the ones you don't need.
The problem could go away and-or it might be easier for troubleshooting .

Repair install should keep most of your settings.
But look at the options and help at the screen i think there are instructions along.
Clean install doesn't keep you software settings etc. but it should keep your partitions intact.
You have to install all your programs ones more.
But given your problems your partitions are probably in danger too Ulco .

These kind of procedures take a long time mostly.
If you are in hurry i would take a spare(!) HD or SSD install XP and the minimum of software to use and finish the job at first.
I don't know your urgency of course .

Maybe use your backups and install a fresh XP .
But Seatools , memtest etc. kind of test should be done anyway to be sure that there is not a hardware problem.

System restore is a nice feature i used more then ones . It was a real life saver to me.
I read some opposite things about this like in many windows users so your mileage may vary .
We use the same old XP os since 9 years without formating,install etc. because of this mostly.
This is probably no use of you now but just saying Ulco  :)

Do you use the old settings in your Bios like it was before the problems or are they altered?
There could be other (PSU , Graphic card etc.) problems too. Looks not so much likely but...

Dune

Thanks very much, Kadri. You're real supportive, I appreciate that. I remember that I may also have done something wrong when defragging, by just clicking it off (X) instead of stopping it first. Sometimes one does silly things. I still have access to both XP partitions, and can work in them, but very slowly (in photoshop this is really awkward). I'll check out chkdsk possibilities some more.
I reset the BIOS to default, which it was anyway.
Maybe the MBR is corrupted, but I'm a bit anxious to repair that (fixmbr), as I have a dual boot, and I don't know if that will make my second XP unavailable. These under the hood things are scary...

Kadri

This looks long but detailed Ulco :

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Yes it is scary especially between a job Ulco.
I wrote it somewhere here before ; i lost 3 months of 3D work because of a HD crash right for a job to be done years ago !
Just be sure to backup your important file on another media.
Please do not leave them on a partition or other HD only , as you do these test.

You will eventually find the way out anyhow  :)

Dune

I found that link as well, but this time saved the pdf. Thanks. All is backed up!

Kadri

Look at the post of "oasis54321"

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/170711-32-hard-disk-slow

Maybe  disk caching is problematic Ulco :

http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Enable_Hard_Drive_Cache_24563233

Edit: I mean , maybe this do not work because of corrupt files etc.
        As it says it has a risk on its own anyway if you check all settings.

Dune

It's not the DMA or PIO problem, I checked that already. And the caching has always been like it was. I'm pretty sure the crash of TG has caused some serious damage somewhere (not blaming anyone  ;)), as it's all happened (very suddenly) after that. It worked very well before.
I have a chkdsk running now................................................................

Dune

I have spent a couple of days now, checking hundreds of forums (fora?) to find out what could cause sluggish behavior in PS. And why my floppy disk wouldn't work anymore (I still have one, yes). Finally, I got a bright moment and restored the stuff I threw out with CCCleaner. And it's blazing fast again!!!  :D :P Some 'missing dll's' were probably not missing at all, but badly needed.

So... warning for all; be careful what you do with CCCleaner, especially regarding the register, and at least save backups.

Back to work........

rcallicotte

I've heard this before.  Utilities aren't always so utilitarian. 

Quote from: Dune on March 30, 2012, 08:40:38 AM
I have spent a couple of days now, checking hundreds of forums (fora?) to find out what could cause sluggish behavior in PS. And why my floppy disk wouldn't work anymore (I still have one, yes). Finally, I got a bright moment and restored the stuff I threw out with CCCleaner. And it's blazing fast again!!!  :D :P Some 'missing dll's' were probably not missing at all, but badly needed.

So... warning for all; be careful what you do with CCCleaner, especially regarding the register, and at least save backups.

Back to work........

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Henry Blewer

CCleaner did that to me years ago. I use IObit's Advance System Care Pro now. It is much better. AVG has a similar add-on for their licensed Anti-Virus.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

Good that you have sorted out your problem Ulco.
Would be good to know which files did the problem just out of curiosity but never mind :)

I used to use these kind of programs very much in the past (Tuneup etc.)
But i had a problem ones too.
I have CCleaner installed ,but since then i use them only if really needed .

Dune

Well, I haven't sorted it out after all, it now seems. Photoshop is still extremely slow when opening a file, saving it and the cursor is trailing way behind if I try do any brushwork. I tested memory (memtest) and the HD (Seatools), but they seem ok. When opening some logfiles I do encounter things that gone wrong some time (crashes, unable to open COM files, or something). I also can't seem to repair Photoshop by a new install, and also my online XP is still very slow in opening and response. Viewing a mp4 file (Garden of Eternity, final release  ;)) doesn't run smoothly and there's no sound, although I do have other sounds.
All in all, I think I'll do a clean format and reinstall.....

TheBadger

QuoteViewing a mp4 file (Garden of Eternity, final release  )

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE THIS THING!!!!! Holy crap I have been waiting a long time ;)
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on April 01, 2012, 06:01:40 PM
QuoteViewing a mp4 file (Garden of Eternity, final release  )

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE THIS THING!!!!! Holy crap I have been waiting a long time ;)

+1

Ooops! I overlooked that :)

Dune

It'll be any day now, as soon as I answer Oshyan's last email. I've seen it and it's awesome, but I haven't heard the music yet (which may be awful  ;)).

Got my pc working again, by the way. Just formatted both C and D partitions, set up new XP's and all fresh installs. It's like taking a shower and putting on cleans clothes after a long hike. I recommend it to everyone  :D