2.3 64-bit bug?

Started by Erwin0265, April 05, 2012, 08:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erwin0265

Hey,
I'm very new to Terragen and have a [probably] very basic question regarding the interface.
I am having a problem where many dialogue boxes show incomplete text.
For example, in the Node List window [I think that's what it is called]; the node names are incompletely shown - but the name is complete in the settings window when a node is highlighted.
I can, when naming nodes [ie. relabelling] get the full name to show if I type in numerous extra spaces after the heading.
See the attached [hopefully] image; the full name, "Sunlight 01" shows up as "/Sunlight 0".
In most cases, this is a minor annoyance; but I had to refer to my Terragen installation on one of my 32 - bit PC's to see what the hotkeys for showing the mini compass was; simply because the heading didn't show the 'C' in my TG2 Mouse and Key Settings window.
My graphics PC is
Intel CORE i7
8 GB RAM
Win 7
64-bit
Nvidea GeForce GTX 275 [two off]
PLMK if there is any more info needed or if you know what the problem is..........
Cheers
Erwin[attachimg=#]
OK, who farted?

Oshyan

Are you using increased font size or an alternate font in your Windows display settings? Judging by your screenshots I would guess yes. If so this is probably the source of the problem. I don't know of a fix except to use regular font sizes, which I realize is probably not feasible for you (as there must be a reason you're using larger font sizes). Jo may have some more input...

- Oshyan

Erwin0265

I'm using Medium sized font - which in Win 7 is 125% [as 100% is ridiculously small ie. like this].
Funny how 100% in XP is fine on a 19" monitor but 100% in Win7 is far too small on a 24" monitor..............
I must admit, I have never come across any other program that has this issue; every other graphic program I use displays fine.
Terragen has so many truly thoughtful and useful features that make using it so much more enjoyable.
Perhaps this is something that could be addressed for the next update?............
OK, who farted?

Oshyan

I actually thought it was only the "Large" size that would cause a problem, but not sure. I'll have Jo chime in. But it's problematic I think, because we have a lot of text and UI controls and we don't want to waste space, so we fit them all in fairly specifically. So there's just not room to have larger font sizes without designing complete alternate UIs to accommodate each one. Overall UI scaling would be a better approach I guess.

- Oshyan

Erwin0265

There appears to be plenty of room for the text; I mean, the column width is at least threefold that of some of the text, but it still gets cut off [as you can see in the screencap].
QuoteOverall UI scaling would be a better approach I guess.
I definitely would be thinking along this line as the interface setup is quite user friendly; most programs don't even have the flexibility to move different windows onto different monitors [I could even use a third monitor with TG2; I just wish I could work out how to keep the interface setup that way so I didn't have to set it up anew for every new scene/startup - but that's another issue.....]
The node network is easily scaled; perhaps something similar?............
Although it still strike me as peculiar that the slightly larger font results in this "text cropping" when there is still plenty of room for the headings, given the column width............
OK, who farted?

Oshyan

You're right, there does appear to be room in the lists, so it might be a bug. Do you see similar issues in actual node settings labels and whatnot?

- Oshyan

Erwin0265

No, I've only noticed it in the Node list for every parameter [object, terrain, etc] and the help window; that's it.
OK, who farted?

mhaze

I'm running 64bit windows 7 using standard fonts and I have no problems. Just changed windows display to medium and the text problem appears so you seem to be correct Oshyan

jo

Hi,

TG2 only really works with the standard sized fonts on Windows. This will be improved in the future.

Regards,

Jo

Erwin0265

I just updated to 2.4 and some of these issues have been addressed; unfortunately, others have manifested instead.

As you can see from the screencap, some of the problem areas have been fixed [smaller font size, by the look of it] - shown by pink arrows.
The green arrows point to a new problem; line spacing; where the  bottom of the words are cut off.
Granted, this is not as big an issue as missing the end of a line; but I thought I would point it out as something I noticed straight away.
BTW, yes, I am still using medium sized font; I'm 50 and my eyes are not what they used to be [crap; now they are total crap....].
So, great to see that some work has been done in this area but a pity that it appears to have created another, new issue.
Cheers
Erwin
OK, who farted?

Oshyan

I don't think the changes that were made which affected your issue were done specifically with the intention of addressing problems like the one you were experiencing, so that would probably be why it hasn't improved overall compatibility with large fonts. If we do look specifically at that issue in the future, you can expect it to bring a more comprehensive improvement. But I'm glad the changes that were made did fix the bigger part of the issue at least.

- Oshyan

Erwin0265

I realise that the update didn't specifically address my issue; after all, I only posted it a few weeks ago - I know program updates take just "a tiny bit more time" than that.................. :)
OK, who farted?