errors

Started by Dune, April 09, 2012, 12:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I wonder why this could be happening: a previously working file suddenly won't render properly in the preview window, giving errors and a gray image. It started when I unhooked a water shader from the child input of a surface shader, and hooked it back on. Tried another water shader, same result. A reflective shader worked fine, as did the color of that surface shader when checked.
After that things got worse; with the water layer (sphere) off, errors still occurred, naming an object as the culprit (and it hasn't even been populated yet) and every time I delete that object and reopen the file, another object is the culprit.
I'll check some other files, maybe reinstall TG, but if anyone has an idea, it's most welcome. I don't know if this has to do with it being an alpha version (2.4.29.0) though...[attachimg=1][attach=2][attach=1]

Dune

2 more images

Oshyan

First off, definitely update to the latest alpha. ;)

Second, if you can share the TGD and object files, it'd really help diagnose. Mainly I want to determine if this is specific to your machine, or something we can actually reproduce. It does sound very odd, but since you've had some strange things happening with your machine lately, I wonder...

- Oshyan

Dune

I run the latest as well, but that doesn't have certain features I used and very much like to keep handy (even if hidden)  ;) But I got an inkling last night, there might be a hidden and unwanted ' (apostrophe) somewhere in the tgd file. If I can't find it, I'll mail the tgd. Thanks.

Oshyan

Got it, thanks.

- Oshyan

Dune

I just got the idea that it might have to do with the extremely shallow water in some place and the combination of a Lambert shader (inside the grassy surface), and perhaps the fake grass. Too fine to render properly in preview... although it rendered blackish in full render as well. Very strange.

Oshyan

I've sent it on to Matt to take a look at. It may take him a little bit as he's busy of course, but hopefully he'll have some insight.

- Oshyan

Dune

Did you try it? Is it replicable?

Oshyan

Yes, it happens on my end too. Just wasn't able to figure out how to stop it without ripping out huge parts of the scene.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi Oshyan,

If you pass it on to me I can check it out in the debugger and see if anything jumps out.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi,

There is definitely something up with this project. I think it's a bug of some kind, rather than something to with how the project is set up. Seems to be to do with the Water shader. I'll pass the info on to Matt.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

Thanks, guys. I thought I was going crazy and doing something incredibly stupid. You might like to know that I deepened the water somewhat (distribution shader at certain height and displace river down), tried the transparency again, this time without TG going nuts.... so it might have to do with the water depth.