Tree populations

Started by Chrispy54, December 30, 2006, 05:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrispy54

Hi everyone,

I have already created a terrain that I'm happy with. I have added an xfrog tree population, however it does not
show in the render at all. I'm certain the placement is fine but nothing appears at all. If I start a new scene, the
tree population works fine, but plugging it in to my existing node tree yields nothing - I've checked my node tree
numerous times as well. Any clues as to why the trees don't show up?

Chris

FrankThomas

what did you set for the Y value in the population ? I've found that unless I leave it at 0, the population often won't show up

lonewolf

To add to that, if you use a surface shader or other type for the distribution (ie, above water, below snow etc) you need to set your population Y lower than your distribution shader Y value. Your distribution shader seems to use the population Y value as its zero, so for altitude constraints you can run into problems if not set to zero.

- Iain

garcia

Quote from: lonewolf on December 30, 2006, 08:10:28 PM
To add to that, if you use a surface shader or other type for the distribution (ie, above water, below snow etc) you need to set your population Y lower than your distribution shader Y value. Your distribution shader seems to use the population Y value as its zero, so for altitude constraints you can run into problems if not set to zero.

- Iain

if a surface shader is used for distribution were do you add\connect the distribution shader????

lonewolf

In the population under the distribution tab, check 'use density shader' and then click on the '...' and choose add new shader - surface shader. Then click on '...' again and goto surface layer. edit slope and height as you wish. You can use other shaders for this purpose as well. This one is very simple but effective. :)

- Iain

garcia

Oshyan

Make sure you have "sit on terrain" checked (turned on) in the population settings and that it has Compute Terrain or the last terrain shader in the Terrain group set for the shader to reference.

- Oshyan