WriteXMLFile: Cannot open file:... Quick Render

Started by TheBadger, August 03, 2012, 04:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Got this error: "WriteXMLFile: Cannot open file:... Quick Render" I can render but I cannot save my work! Im stuck!

An hour ago I got this error: WriteXMLFile: Cannot open file:... (some object)

In the second case I was able to double click the warning and reestablish a connection with the object. In the renderer case I can not figure it out. And every time I click save I get the warning.

What do I do?

OK OK. I just double clicked on the warning for the render and clicked save. Nope. then I clicked on "go to render" in the window that came up from clicking the warning, and saved. This worked.

Whats going on? I have never seen these errors before.
It has been eaten.

jo

Hi,

Just to get this straight, are you seeing this after clicking the Save button on the Render window? Had you tried to save the project or a clip shortly beforehand?

You should only see that error when trying to save either a project file or a clip file.

Quote from: TheBadger on August 03, 2012, 04:56:02 AM
OK OK. I just double clicked on the warning for the render and clicked save. Nope. then I clicked on "go to render" in the window that came up from clicking the warning, and saved. This worked.

I'm afraid I don't understand this bit at all. I'll have to break it down a bit.

Did you double click on the warning in the Errors and Warnings window? There are two things I would expect to happen in that case. If there was a node name next to the warning message (i.e. Quick Render) that means a node is associated with the warning. When you double clicked the warning you should see the parameter view open for that node. If there is no node name then double clicking wouldn't do anything. Did something meeting that description happen?

You say a window opened and that had "Go to render" in it. I have to say right now I can't think what that window would be. Can you give me some more information about it please? Did it have anything else in it?

Something very odd is going on, I don't think I've ever heard about problems like this before.

One thing I should clarify is that the Errors and Warnings window shows both errors and warnings. Errors have a red octagon icon. Warnings have a triangular icon with an exclamation mark. I thought we had some documentation about this but I was wrong, so I'll try to add something next week. I imagine what you probably saw in the window was an error.

Regards,

Jo

TheBadger

lol, sorry for all this stuff at once, jo. When it rains it pours :o

so...

QuoteJust to get this straight, are you seeing this after clicking the Save button on the Render window? Had you tried to save the project or a clip shortly beforehand?

You should only see that error when trying to save either a project file or a clip file.

After making some changes to my project file, I attempted to save by going file-->save. This is when the dialogue box appeared. I had not been doing anything with clip files at the time.

I cannot now recall if it was an Error or Warning. I did not think to note this, I don't think I had heard the distinction before.

QuoteDid you double click on the warning in the Errors and Warnings window? There are two things I would expect to happen in that case. If there was a node name next to the warning message (i.e. Quick Render) that means a node is associated with the warning. When you double clicked the warning you should see the parameter view open for that node. If there is no node name then double clicking wouldn't do anything. Did something meeting that description happen?

Yes I double clicked on the warning or error.
A parameter window opened, it was for the quick render node.
In that parameter there was a filed with an icon, clicking on the icon brought op a "go to" selection.

It was a while ago now. So Its not very fresh in my memory, but yes, something meeting your description happened.

QuoteYou say a window opened and that had "Go to render" in it.

Yes, but it was not immediately in the window. I had to click on the icon next to a filed with "quick render" (or something like that) written in, to get to "go to".

I believe I remember it was an error.

I think I could reproduce this. Perhaps you could too. In the mushroomForest2 file I sent. add a population or two, it shouldn't matter what. (fully populated) Do this with "show as wireframe" as the preview view. You should run into the issue.

I have been working on this image all night. And I have to say I have noticed that with nearly every issue I ran into tonight, "show as wireframe" was the preview mode.

When I have the preview mode as "bounding box" I have no issues worth mentioning.

Your the Dr., but I think its all in the preview mode.

Hope Im helping and not just confusing you. If you need me to do something on my end, just say so.

Thanks jo.
It has been eaten.