(IT WORKS!!) rotate & scale shaders with-in an object. (update)

Started by TheBadger, September 06, 2012, 12:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Dune

Finally I understand what you're trying to do, Ty, but is it an object within a slightly larger similar object or a double sided object, where you texture the outer and inner side separately? If that is the case, it's a very interesting result. In your animation, though, I can see an inner sphere a bit smaller, is that right? 

I don't know if this is any use in the light of your experiments, Ty...

TheBadger

Hi Dune,

It is one object with two parts. An outer sphere and an inner. The inner sphere is slightly smaller. They are both the same in every other way. Each is textured with the same image.
It needs to be one object and not two because there will be more than one object showing this idea in a scene.
And placing a bunch of objects, and then placing more inside the first set would be trouble.
I will check out your files^^ soon. They look interesting.

Ben,
Thank you.
It has been eaten.

Dune

You'd probably get in trouble if you make a complicated object and a slightly smaller copy inside; it'll cross a certain points. I thought you used the 'doublesidedness' of an object to color the inside different than the outside, using flip normals or something fancy. But if you flip the normals of an exact copy and color that differently from the original object, the first will probably not be seen by the camera, as it's inside out.

dandelO

Transforming textures that use 'object UV' mode does actually work. The textures on multiple parts can all be animated using object space. I didn't think it would work but it does. Very handy. All the animated textures won't cross over or be distorted if they use object space because they will all move relative to the 'part' their assigned to and not in world-space. This means that a model which has multiple parts like this, regardless of their position/rotation, can be controlled with one transform shader. :)

You can also disguise the edge of the inner sphere and make it appear to be pressing towards the outer shell a bit by raising the index of refraction above '1' in the transparency shader.

Here the ior is set to '1.1' and it looks a more snug fit, which is probably a better setting:
[attachimg=1]

TheBadger

Very nice Martin!

I am surprised there is not more interest in this. I thought it was kind of a big deal?
It has been eaten.

dandelO

Here's a couple of pulsers since there's already a video posted by Badger on page 1. I'll pop these other experiments here too...

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Now I'll leave it to Badger to carry on the thread here. I was only helping out with a few texture problems, it's all his doing and should be an extremely nice bit of eye-candy for us all once he's done. :)