Lunar digital elevation bump map.

Started by bigben, September 02, 2012, 01:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4nt

Thanks a lot, bigben, it really helps  :-*

cheers

TheBadger

Hi Ben. I need a little hand holding here.
The first two images you posted are super crisp. The others get a little soft. But if Im reading these posts correctly the data your posting got bigger or more detailed than the original files? Is that right? so whats happening then?

It has been eaten.

bigben

Quote from: TheBadger on September 12, 2012, 03:46:27 AM
The first two images you posted are super crisp. The others get a little soft. But if Im reading these posts correctly the data your posting got bigger or more detailed than the original files? Is that right? so whats happening then?

As I increased the resolution of the terrain and texture I moved closer to the moon to explore the limits of the new data.  The moon is a tricky beast to guess the scale, kinda like a crater fractal... no matter how close you get you can still see small craters Try watching the Apllo 11 LEM footage as it comes in to land.  Without the audio it's very hard to tell what altitude it's at.

bigben

For comparison here are some quick renders from this dataset

• The 8bit elevation images
  • The high res 32bit image
  • Highest res with 4k texture (not actually in my set of files as it's available at Celestia)
  • ... and with 16k texture

Note that the textures contain shadows which can make it hard to evaluate the terrain.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

pixelpusher636

BigBen. Not even close to a waste of time. Your contributions to these forums are priceless and are always well received. Its good to see your still shining. I will certainly be downloading this data tomorrow. I am however anxiously awaiting your site to get worked out so I can download monument valley etc and learn from the data provided! Thanks again!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

bigben

Quote from: pixelpusher636 on September 13, 2012, 12:00:24 AM
BigBen. Not even close to a waste of time. Your contributions to these forums are priceless and are always well received. Its good to see your still shining. I will certainly be downloading this data tomorrow. I am however anxiously awaiting your site to get worked out so I can download monument valley etc and learn from the data provided! Thanks again!

Trying to find the time. I had some "grand" plans for my site, but life got in the way. It was a separate WordPress installation but it got out of date and had some security issues recently which is why the commenting is so restrictive.  Just went looking for the files and they weren't where they were supposed to be so it looks like I may just pull the plug and start again, incorporating it into my "main" occasionally updated site.

Good news is I decided to open up the data download a bit more by exposing directory listings. Don't really care about stats, as long as I know that a few people are using them... and the stats I had form the old site were more than enough confirmation. Simpler for me and more sustainable.

Old zip file uploading: http://files.bigben.id.au/terragen/terrains/us/monument_valley-goose_necks/ (around 160Mb)

bigben

Started rearranging my site. Updated URL in the post above.

raf3d

Hi Bigben,

Just a little post to thank you very much for you lunar digital elevation bump map. I found it there and use it in a 3D animation for the planetarium of "La cité des sciences" in Paris. It is a show about moon creation et evolution. I don't use Terragen but 3dsmax/Vray, and i used your map in Vray Displacement for 4K rendering. I'll post an image here when it will be finish, if you're intrested.

Well, your work was not a wast of time, and it will serv for education. Tell me if you want to be named in the credits of this show.

Thx again !

Raf3d
www.raf3d.com

bigben

No real need for credits on this one as all I did was reformat existing data.  It would be nice to see an image of the finished work, and thanks for the courtesy of letting me know where it's being used.