Parse error

Started by AndyWelder, October 23, 2012, 03:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

When I started up a project this morning I got this warning: Parse error at line 6500: not well-formed (invalid token)
This happens also with the BAK file of that same project. Somewhere yesterday this error must have slipped in.
Is there a way to correct this? Would be a shame if I had to abandon this one because there are over a hundred hours work in it, not counting render times.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

jo

Hi Andy,

Open the file in a text editor and go to line 6500. You will probably find that there is a non-English letter, most likely something with an accent. Chances are it's in something like a file path. Change that letter to something else and save it. It will probably open although the change may mean a file, perhaps object or image, won't load.

If you like you can email me the file at:

jomeder@planetside.co.uk

and I'll see if I can fix it.

Regards,

Jo

AndyWelder

Thank you for the help, Jo.
I managed to restore the project file: The culprit was a "~" that sneaked in. A couple of years ago I reported TG2 did automatically ad a tilde first thing after opening TG2, no matter where I typed (even outside TG2) and this could only be confirmed by a couple of Dutch users so it was decided this had something to do with region settings. Looks like  the file fell victim to this phenomenon.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: AndyWelder on October 23, 2012, 09:34:23 AM
Thank you for the help, Jo.
I managed to restore the project file: The culprit was a "~" that sneaked in. A couple of years ago I reported TG2 did automatically ad a tilde first thing after opening TG2, no matter where I typed (even outside TG2) and this could only be confirmed by a couple of Dutch users so it was decided this had something to do with region settings. Looks like  the file fell victim to this phenomenon.

Yep, that's still the issue. Although for me it wasn't the "~" but the " ` ". It also happens often after switching apps. When you switch apps in Win7 you occasionally see the keyboard/region settings change in the top right of the screen. Once you go back to TG2 something happens which makes the ' appear.

I just did a clean install of Win 7 and set the region and keyboard language to US only.
Let's see what happens in the coming weeks.

jo

Hi guys,

I'm sorry this sort of thing continues to be a problem. The solution to it at this time is tied up in a big chunk of work planned for some time in the future and I don't think it's going to be feasible to address it before that. I will try and experiment with the language settings and see if anything leaps out at me. This sort of thing is the reason we officially only support English, although we do try to make using other languages not too much of a pain.

Regards,

Jo

Tangled-Universe

Don't worry Jo, it's not a big deal, only still present. My British supervisor at work always tells me not to "bust a nut" on small things/jobs :)
I'll let you know if the problem returns.

AndyWelder

Relax, Jo, this is not a big problem for me neither. ;) And if you ever find time to work on this: It's not so much the language setting but the region setting. I do use Win7-En so everything is in the English language.

Dune

Nor for me. It's only when I do a render and it's tiny (huh?), that I'm reminded of the ' that popped up before the render size (e.g.).

DannyG

Note sure where the error is, I would appreciate it ??
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

jo

Hi Danny,

That file loads ok for me on the Mac version. Did you attach the wrong file though? The one in the error message is called "stone path back up again.tgd", which is not the same as the file you attached.

Regards,

Jo

DannyG

Try saving it, it shuts down without saving. I opened the file with a note pad per the above info, after I did that it opened, however I can't save the file ?
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram