Render Hiccups

Started by scrambled2, November 01, 2012, 07:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrambled2

I have recently started playing with Terragen 2. Bought the latest version and have been having a blast. Ran into a weird problem though. I was experimenting with heightfields driven by image data. I have a 4000x4000 B&W image map with just dots randomly distributed to create a series of 'towers' in Terragen. Got it working. Looks great in the viewer...ect. When I render though I am getting weird lines in the render and the tops of the towers are cut off..ect  This is a link to the render. http://i.imgur.com/PCIu4.png 
I had the same issue when playing with the tower tutorial off the wiki where from some camera angles the tower would just cut off randomly. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? Thanks for your help.

Chris

Oshyan

You're working with some pretty extreme displacements and they are crossing render tile boundaries. The cut-offs occur at the edge of a render tile (work region for the renderer). Default optimizations in the renderer can cause issues in these cases, but they provide a performance benefit under normal circumstances. Fortunately there's an easy fix, at the cost of render time. Just increase Displacement Tolerance in the Planet node. Try a value of 1.5 or 2. As you increase it, go in relatively small increments, i.e. don't crank it up to 5 or 10 right off the bat; in fact values above 3 or 4 would be strongly discouraged, and a value of 2 should generally fix most such problems.

- Oshyan

scrambled2

Wow, that was quick help and great. Thanks a lot!

Chris