Vue Linux Render Nodes

Started by efflux, November 09, 2012, 11:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew March

Why on earth would we discuss E-on's Vue in a Terragen forum, particularly as the news you posted is nearly a year old.

Oshyan

It doesn't hurt to look at the competition (we certainly keep an eye on them). Efflux is a Linux user and fan, and a long-time advocate for Terragen on Linux, so I think he's just pointing out that Vue may be headed in that direction. I'm doubtful whether they'll do a full GUI version however, and TG currently runs for render node type functionality just fine through WINE.

- Oshyan

Andrew March

That's fair enough but the 'news' is nearly a year old.

efflux

TG2 is useless for Wine now due to needing 64 bit. I think there is 64 bit wine but I'm not bothering to even try that.

My Linux system is now almost pure 64 bit Arch system. It was difficult just to get 32 Linux libraries working for 32 bit Lightzone. Some of the Linux distributions have become a total pain. Arch is best now. Linux distributions have fast become another bloated poor OS just like Windows and OSX. Fortunately, if you know what you are doing you can build it the way you want.

The fact is that when we get to needing multiple computers to render stuff, Linux is the way to do it.

My concern is that Vue is going to become the program that everyone uses and never TG2. If I was working to create scenes for movies I'd use Vue for certain. Not because you can get better looking scenes but because it gets the job done. I probably won't use Vue because TG2 is more artful in the scenes it creates but if Vue ever gets to being able to create as nice landscapes as TG2 can then there wouldn't be any point in using TG2.

My personal opinion is that this whole area of computer graphics simply isn't where it should be which is very frustrating. There are a number of reasons for this which I could go on about ad infinitum but I'd suggest that the biggest problem is that people want instant results and use programs which get them that, meaning that the better more complex programs trail in development. This is a problem of the lowest common denominator effect with computers. It's why I've moved almost all my audio production back into the real world. Audio on computers beyond just multi-tracking is largely dead now. Just garbage software mostly. The best software synthesizer is ZynAddSubFX on Linux. There was also a Windows version. Nobody uses it. It's a pretty standard example of what I've just described. The app I use to edit my TG2 renders called Lightzone is also dead and absolutely no replacement for that app. It was the best photo processor.

If this angle of software better sorted I'd be using is a lot more and not just sporadically while hoping that the potential eventually comes to fruition.