Gradiant Color Ramp

Started by Sethren, May 09, 2007, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethren

There is one feature i wish TG2 had and that is an adjustable color ramp that can follow elevation. It certain cases it would be easier to create the overall base-colors for the terrain rather then layering 2-color only selections. Perhaps it sounds silly but something like this in terms of color can be made quickly.

Oshyan

While some kind of gradient device would be nice, I think you can basically simulate this using two surface layers with a high and low altitude constraint and extremely wide fuzzy zones, minimal fractal breakup. Give it a shot...

- Oshyan

Sethren

Are not two surface layers only providing 4 colors, two in each layer. What if i want a dozen colors. Just add a ton more layers i guess.    :-\

Oshyan

Actually 2 surface layers only provides 2 colors, 1 in each layer. ;) It's Power Fractals that provide a "high" and "low" color. So yes, just make more layers. This is more difficult and time consuming than a true gradient device but also much, much more versatile. If you really like this approach simply take the time to set it up once, say a 10 layer (10 control points) version, and then save it as a clip file. Then you can reuse it fairly easily later on - just import, connect, and adjust heights and colors to suit. In the future when a macro system is available you may even be able to set it up so that these values can all be adjusted in one place.

- Oshyan

RedSquare

Oshyan -
QuoteIt's Power Fractals that provide a "high" and "low" color. So yes, just make more layers.
He he, I did this once quite early on, I had eighteen PF's which on reflection gave me 36 layers but by heck my old beast didn't like it.  'twere like walking through horse leg varnish, not that anyone here would know what that is/was.  ;D   Turds have quicker reaction times than that set up.  :D

Sethren

Huh, seem rather over whelming at that point.     :-[    I might just have to wait for the macro system so things will be easier to do.