Sun/Cloud Distortion

Started by DannyG, January 04, 2013, 11:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

Rendering this the first time around I was getting that banding around the sun that sometimes acures , reading a fix for this is in another thread was to set the cloud acceleration to none (Highest Detail) This certainly fixed the banding but gave me these strange rings ? Its an easy fix in PH, just wondering if anyone else ever encountered this ?
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

What Pixel Filter are you using and do you have Antialiasing Bloom turned off? For "overbright" surfaces like that, some pixel filters need AA bloom enabled or you get these "negative lobes" in the interpolation. The solution is to either enable AA bloom (recommended as it's more realistic anyway), or change the pixel filter.

- Oshyan

DannyG

Pix filter is Mitchell Netravali and yes the AA Bloom was turned off. Let me make some adjustments and I will post results, thks ^^
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Tangled-Universe

I believe changing the pixel filter is enough?
Mitchell-Netravalli can create negative lobes, like Oshyan mentioned, causing the black artefacts.
However, changing the filter should be sufficient.

Oshyan

Yes, as I said the solution is *either* to enable AA bloom (which I would recommend) OR to change pixel filter. To my mind AA bloom is generally desirable anyway, and if the chosen pixel filter is preferred, then enabling it makes sense vs. changing the filter.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Oops, missed that little part Oshyan :)

For the one's interested; here's a post from Matt about the issue:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5142.msg53449#msg53449

DannyG

Enabling the AA Bloom worked out just fine, thkx guys
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com