Mick

Thank you so much!

Hannes

Oh great!!! Thank you!

zaxxon

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

Interesting, Mick. Thanks for putting it up. It's rather the same setup as I used. I only added some tiny fake stones as foam bubbles.

mhaze

The fake stones are a nice idea. The limpet model is crude so feel free to improve!

Hannes

Seems to be a foam battle at the moment!
MHaze, if only I'd understand what you were doing :(
That node stuff is quite complicated. Vectors, scalar, voronoi...

mhaze

The displacement to vector node is key the rest is just playing with colour and masking.  I've found that if I use the small preview window for each node I can visually see whats going on  it helps a lot!

The voronoi create the surf pattern.  The displacement to vector gives the high point of the displaced ground - the rocks and is used as a mask for the surf pattern.  BTW the same technique can be used to place white water in a stream or river.

Hannes

Thank you for your explanation! I'll dive into that and I'll try to understand it.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for putting this up Mick.

I'll have a look at the blu'ish swells and such. If I manage to improve it I'll share it back here.
I really like this one a lot, so I might even consider rendering it huge'ish for print :)

Cheers!

Quote from: mhaze on January 21, 2013, 05:29:11 AM
The displacement to vector node is key the rest is just playing with colour and masking.  I've found that if I use the small preview window for each node I can visually see whats going on  it helps a lot!

The voronoi create the surf pattern.  The displacement to vector gives the high point of the displaced ground - the rocks and is used as a mask for the surf pattern.  BTW the same technique can be used to place white water in a stream or river.

Ha that sounds familiar :)
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15258.msg148701#msg148701

Displacement shader to vector is a really cool node.
You can also use it to subtract different parts of the node network from each other to create interesting masks for additional displacements or surfacing.
That's the true power of TG's node based system, it's so versatile :)

mhaze

Shouldn't be too hard too improve it!  It has become a real mess here at home I've got blue upswelling foam but it is rendering painfully slowly with two water shaders in it!  When this has rendered I'm going to start afresh and see if I can find a simpler method

Dune

Why 2 water shaders?