Import bump

Started by manleystanley, December 31, 2006, 04:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manleystanley

I can import the texture I want to a surface shader, but how do I import a bump map? I'm sure I read something about this before, but I can't find it now. I have a nice ground clutter texture and corresponding bump map I'd like to use.
"So you think you can tell, heaven from hell, blue skys from pain.
can you tell a green field, from a cold steel rail? a smile from a veil?
do you think you can tell?" P.F.

Oshyan

A Bump Map should be used as Displacement. The Image Map shader and the Default Shader both provided image-based displacement possibilities. The results should be as good or better than bump mapping since there is real dimension with displacement. But it may take some careful tuning to avoid extreme displacement - on the order of centimeters (100th's of a meter - TG2's default unit) in many cases.

- Oshyan

manleystanley

Oh maaaan, that's what I have been doing and everytime I try to move the camera in the preview window TG2 crashes. Thought that was wierd because I had rendered, realized I hadn't hit set camera; yet again  ::) , hit set camera, rendered, went to move the camera, then it crashed. Three times. Thought I was doing it wrong.
I'll run it a few more times, but I have to get this to work. I gota picture in my head Osh, and I have to do it. ;)

manleystanley

go it, thanks. I must have been putting the bump in the wrong slot.

manleystanley

Now, how do I get it to work with restraints?

Tangled-Universe

You can do this by selecting the shader and activate the "blend by shader" option, then press the "..." --> Create new shader --> Colour Shader --> Distribution Shader V4.

The easiest way to check your constraints is to have a seperate surface layer in a bright color, red for example.
You can now quickly see if your settings are fine....or not  ;)

Just like in good old TG0.9  ;D

manleystanley

Figured this one out. Add the default shader as a child to a surface shader.  :D

Oshyan

Yes, that way works too. ;)

- Oshyan