Oshyan, I've got this nagging feeling

Started by rcallicotte, May 22, 2007, 08:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

This is meant to be a positive outlook.  It might not seem it, but from what I understand the work Planetside is doing is difficult.  So, without being a critic (I'm not), I'll say that I'm beginning to sense that maybe TG2 is a distant dream that might not come true.  Outside of blind faith, do you have anything to reassure me (us) that all of the bugs will be gone from TG2 and that it will be what you guys want it to be?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

I can't answer for Oshyan, but TG2 has been in development for 2004, and if it's still going strong today that means that there's lots of dedication and stick-to-it-iveness on the Planetside team.  It may not come as *quickly* as many would hope for, but I'm pretty sure it will come eventually.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

The Geostation

As it is, TG2TP is a very fine piece of software.   Been having much fun with it.   Having said that, I have a 'gut feeling' that we will be seeing a load more fun 'toys' in the future.   Can't wait to see what the Planetside team comes up with  :)

Best,

Andrew
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Cyber-Angel

Let us remember here the TG2 is a ground up rewrite of Terragen that is far more sophisticated then previous versions. This been the case it is likely that there may be some small bugs that are not detected until after the first commercial release and if this proves to be true then they will be reported here in the usual  manner.

As to the future of TG2 there are so many things that will be in the final release its untrue all any one has to do is look around the forums at different posts, even the old FAQ to see this.

In the long term (Post first commercial release) as time and revenue allow I am sure that many exciting new as yet undreamed of features will come along what these are we can at best speculate.

For the mean time it isn't as if there's not pliantly to be going on with while having plenty of (some times frustrating) fun along the way, remember that "Good things come to those who wait".

Adaptability, as in nature, is key in the software industry as it is in any other you might start down one path but maybe you get an idea of some thing that may work better; remember that if some thing is not right, then no matter how small it maybe you've got to change it and that you've got to innovate if you want to stay ahead.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Buzzzzz

Planetside states that tg2 will be released by the end of 2007. Have you not Faith?  I must admit, I've also had my doubts but I keep telling myself it's my Negative side coming through. Only a little more than 6 months to go. Ye! Hah!! ;D

Oshyan

I think I've given about as much reassurance as I can without getting you and everyone else on the "inside" to see what's going on here. ;D We're continuing to update the Tech Preview and I think in a few months you will see some particularly interesting improvements. Ultimately you have nothing to lose by watching and seeing if we meet our 2007 timeframe. If we miss it I wouldn't blame most of you for deciding to move on.

This is really the year of reckoning for Planetside and I remain confident that we will prove ourselves in the commercial arena. But I don't blame anyone for a bit of skepticism either. Only time can show for certain.

- Oshyan

Harvey Birdman

Don't rope yourself in too tightly to a deadline; you may live to regret it. People might be able to live with and might gain confidence from more frequent periodic updates... (nudge nudge; wink wink; know what I mean? know what I mean?).    :)

rcallicotte

Oshyan, I don't know if this is cynicism  ??? or maybe just knowing that sometimes something beautiful can be crushed by something evil.  Maybe that is a cynic's heart.  Truth is, I love TG2 and want nothing to spoil its future.

Thanks for the reply.  If you want me, I'll be making another render...    ;D

Quote from: Oshyan on May 22, 2007, 11:20:51 PM
I think I've given about as much reassurance as I can without getting you and everyone else on the "inside" to see what's going on here. ;D We're continuing to update the Tech Preview and I think in a few months you will see some particularly interesting improvements. Ultimately you have nothing to lose by watching and seeing if we meet our 2007 timeframe. If we miss it I wouldn't blame most of you for deciding to move on.

This is really the year of reckoning for Planetside and I remain confident that we will prove ourselves in the commercial arena. But I don't blame anyone for a bit of skepticism either. Only time can show for certain.

- Oshyan
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

though if you want to to could, you know, just have all over for a party or somethin' yea a party that would be nice. ;)

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

peejay

Don't know if many of you are Poser users, but if you are, you may remember the absolute debacle that marked the rushed release of Poser 5 by Curious Labs a few years back.
My twopence worth to Planetside is keep your nerve, and keep doing it right, please do not be rushed into fully releasing something before it is ready - that way lies disaster!

Yes, I'm impatient too, particularly for polygon smoothing and proper transparency/translucency. But I'd rather wait a few extra months and end up with  something that works properly, delivers what it promises and doesn't crash.
adamans rebellis quod iustus nos

Sethren

Indeed, for example just look at Vue 6. That is a disaster, every new build update still is buggy and crashes not to mention using displacement and large procedural terrains is a joke. There render core is outdated and slow as heck. I can output a scene full of reflective materials and several lights in Carrara in about 2 hours tops. I do the same scene in Vue 6 and i was looking at 35 hours render times.

I have Poser 5 from that free offer that was going on a while back. I have not touched it yet so i have no experience in the arena as far as software instability is concerned.