A question...........

Started by yossam, April 04, 2013, 05:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

Could any of you fine folks please reply with thoughts concerning the 8 core AMD processor for use in Terragen ? I know power usage is almost twice that of the 3rd generation i7, but the AMD seems to handle multi-threading pretty well. I have never owned an AMD processor b4 and just want your thoughts.

Thanks........... :-\

jaf

I'm running an 8 core amd (see specs below) and I'm quite happy with it.  It's a real budget machine with some punch.  I haven't owned an I7, so can't really compare, but I have more money in my wallet.  :D 

[edit]  I should have added the I7's are usually faster, so it depends a lot on your budget.  Also, I think you can generally go with a cheaper motherboard with AMD, but don't hold me to that -- I've never checked that out.

I did purchase a sealed water cooling unit so I could actually do renders when summer hits.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Oshyan

You'll save some money going AMD, but the overall performance crown still belongs to Intel and their i7s.

- Oshyan

yossam

Being on a fixed income can be a pain. I want reliability more than anything else. I have never had a problem with Intel and am very wary of AMD's reputation for overheating. I was just wanting to hear what I already know from someone else. Thanks.

jaf

Yes, a fixed income is a pain.  I upgraded gradually -- a Gigabyte MB for $59 that supported my old AMD 2 core processor but would also support the FX 8350 which I purchased a few months later.  I'm still using my old win XP x64.... got a lot of mileage out of that!

I think I was at 10 minutes on the benchmark scene, which I think is pretty decent considering the amount of money I have in my current system.  Hate to think about how much I paid for my old Compaq "portable" in the early 1980's.   :-[
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

yossam

Right know I think a chimpanzee with a handcrank would be faster than my old processor I'm using know. The more I learn about Terragen the more complicated my scenes are getting. It seems the complexity doesn't agree with my old quadcore.  :'(