possible populator calcuation bug?

Started by Zairyn Arsyn, April 02, 2013, 05:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zairyn Arsyn

i am not sure if this a bug or not or something i was unaware of.

i am using TG 2.5.4.0 deep, 64bit

i have been working on my roadside scene, and i find tg occasionally re-populates objects somewhat randomly, unlike when you alter terrain.
its a issue because i have a about 5 or so grass populations that take a lot more time to calculate with their spacing.

examples-
-on doing a crop render
-changing detail/aa settings
-changing cameras
-enabling disabled surface layers.

also, repopulate every frame is disabled.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Oshyan

Yes, the "need to repopulate" detection needs work. We have an issue filed in our tracker for it and this behavior should be improved in the future.

- Oshyan

Zairyn Arsyn

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W

Dune

Great, that was something that's annoying me also.

jaf

Not sure if this is also related, but it seems to happen when working with populations... The preview view seems to lock up (no, it's not in pause.)  I make a change to a population and click populate but the preview render doesn't restart.  I'm not positive on this yet -- have to watch more carefully -- but switching the preview view to top or front (or one of the other settings) and back to current render camera seems to unlock the preview and the new population wire-frames pop up.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Hannes

I found out that hitting "show b-box in preview" almost immediately updates the population object's bounding boxes after it has been calculated.

Zairyn Arsyn

Quote from: Hannes on April 06, 2013, 09:41:30 AM
I found out that hitting "show b-box in preview" almost immediately updates the population object's bounding boxes after it has been calculated.

that hasnt happened to me yet.

though ive found that adding a new object or pop. surely causes it, occasionally a crop may do it, once with changing detail/AA, changing between quick and full render, more i cant think of.

this stinks if it takes over 45 min to calculate. all your pops.

Dune

It might be good to always suppress updating and have a popup or question as soon as you start a (crop) render (update population; yes/no). Sometimes you just want to check some terrain formation and don't need all trees repopulated.

Zairyn Arsyn

i've noticed the "populate all" button in the objects tab, (is that what your talking about?, or a new feature?) what confuses me about it, is that it doesnt put a check mark by the two options available :/

Quote from: Dune on April 12, 2013, 02:29:05 AM
It might be good to always suppress updating and have a popup or question as soon as you start a (crop) render (update population; yes/no). Sometimes you just want to check some terrain formation and don't need all trees repopulated.

jaf

Noticed another thing that may not be the subject of this thread (population calc. bug) but I noticed the preview window can get "mixed up".  It would render when the pause button was set (indented, which would seem to me to be paused) and then paused thereafter when not indented.  I think I cause it by clicking pause and then deleting an obj that I've updated (switching it out and then eventually saving it as a tgo and bringing it back in.)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Tangled-Universe

Jaf, I have that too sometimes. Who else also?

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Zlain three nine on April 12, 2013, 11:16:21 AM
i've noticed the "populate all" button in the objects tab, (is that what your talking about?, or a new feature?) what confuses me about it, is that it doesnt put a check mark by the two options available :/

It doesn't put a check mark on the menu because the menu items are used to perform an operation. For example, you select "Force update" and it repopulates all the populations. It's not something you're turning on and off.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

Indeed. What I was referring to is to not update pops at all, ever, unless prompted in a popup question before a render. Or of course by hand, by pressing either of the just mentioned buttons.

And the pause issue I have not encountered, but never did that either (pause.. change... unpause).