Wings3d

Started by efflux, May 31, 2013, 02:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

I couldn't resist posting another weird Wings model but I'll stop soon. This stuff needs to go into TG2. I wll probably work some more but eventusally ity will get into TG2.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

micheus

Quote from: TheBadger on June 02, 2013, 07:32:53 AMDo you insert edge loops to add resolution?.. Something like that term?
I think that we can say that on Wings it is done by Flow Connect.

Quote from: TheBadger on June 02, 2013, 07:32:53 AMCan you smooth in Wings, and what is the smooth process? For example in maya, you can smooth preview as you work. And then add levels of smoothing permanently beginning with a multiple of two.

Quote from: efflux on June 03, 2013, 08:02:27 AMActually the realtime view of the smoothing is one of Wings biggest weaknesses.
Not exactly.  If you have a good video card with OpenCL support you will be able to set several levels of subdivision in smooth proxy (preview mode too) - it was added in Dec/2011- Latests snapshot. For instance, I used 2 for this one:

This way we can model in low resolution almost the time and then smooth the model at the end - or when exporting (the exported dialog has an option for that).

Cheers

efflux

Hi Micheus.

I'll have to look into that smoothing. Maybe it's better now and I haven't used Wings for a while. I use Linux so I'm not sure what the differences are there.

Wings3D is the most under appreciated app of all in my opinion. It's really great so keep up the good work. It does exactly what it's supposed to do with minimum complexity of UI. It's absolutely one of my favourites and I've been using Modo so I'm comparing to serious commercial software.

It's a great modeller for use with Terragen for anyone who wants to build content although I'm not using Terragen now because it's simply too time consuming.

micheus

Quote from: efflux on September 21, 2013, 06:39:39 AMMaybe it's better now and I haven't used Wings for a while. I use Linux so I'm not sure what the differences are there.
Unfortunately I use Linux under a VirtualBox and there is some limitation, so I cannot also be sure about if OpenCL will be available for it.
We should have a stable release available soon.

p.s. this is a image I was searching to post here:

Upon Infinity

I actually had Wings3D but I couldn't figure out the UI, so I scrapped it.  To be honest, however, I didn't really give it a serious try.  This thread has inspired me to give it a second chance.  Not that I'm getting tired of Hexagon, mind you.  Having Hexagon crash on me after working on a particular detail for 40 minutes is almost kind of fulfilling at this point.  Sometimes I'll crash it "on purpose" just to prove it doesn't bother me...but yeah, I'll check out Wings again, for sure.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.