Moving files and incorrect paths to .ter files

Started by trailgirl, June 01, 2007, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailgirl

Sorry if this has been reported already, I couldn't find a post. If I create a .tgd file, for example, in my Desktop folder, and then I do a Heightfield(load) and select a terrain file (.ter), one also residing in my Desktop folder, then TG2 reads in the file and puts the filename (no path) in the "read from File" field, and loads the terrain, no problem. If I then later move those files to another location, for example a subfolder, and try to open my .tgd file, TG2 freezes with an abort message and a blank error message box. I then do a Force Quit. If I move the files back to the original folder then it works. Or if I edit the .tgd file with BBEdit and manually update the path to the .ter file then it works. Anyone else run across this or am I not managing terrain files correctly.

Marcia

jo

Hi,

Really, what is happening is that we could be handling files better so you don't have these problems. Things are really too fragile as they are, and you can break things by changing the file locations, as you've found. However, the behaviour where you are getting the abort message and such is also not good even aside from the problems with file paths, and I'll check it out.

Regards,

Jo

Oshyan

Are you running the latest version of the Technology Preview, 1.8.76.0? You can check by going to the Help menu and selecting About Terragen 2. The build number will be shown at the top of the About box.

I ask because I get these messages frequently too but they are not blank and do not cause TG2 to freeze (although I do have to dismiss the error box to continue by pressing OK).  It might also help to know what operating system you are running.

As Jo said we do need to improve handling of missing files. For now it is recommended to keep scene source files together in the same directory with your .tgd files and to move them as a group when possible.

- Oshyan

trailgirl

This is Mac 10.4.9, TG2 Preview build 1.8.76.0 I say "freeze" because the menus are greyed out so quit is not accessible. Clicking the "Abort" button makes TG2 beep. Here's my screenshot. No problem on file management now I understand what's going on. Thanks, Marcia

Oshyan

This would seem to be a Mac-specific thing then. Thanks for the additional info. We'll resolve this as soon as possible.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

I have a (lame) workaround for this problem. Just click in the blank alert where you think the OK button should be, near the bottom right corner. When you get it the alert should close and you can carry on as per usual. I think the reason the top window/alert isn't drawing is because the way the windows have come up has stopped the app's event loop running properly and so the OS is being given the chance to draw the window properly. I believe this is a Mac specific problem, BTW.

Regards,

Jo

rcallicotte

Jo and Oshyan,

Since the TGD has the file location information (right?), then if someone moves the accessory file(s) to a new location how would you know?  I guess the program could ask for the locations...but, there's no way to do this otherwise, is there?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

It's up to the person who moves the files to remember other files that may depend on them, or at least to remember where they move things to so that if a dependency issue ever comes up in the future you can easily point to the new location. We do plan to improve the systems for handling missing files.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

In addition to what Oshyan said, you can kind of see what we have in mind for the location of certain files in the Preferences. Check out the Library and Content panel. We would have a main Library type folder for certain preset stuff. This would always get searched for certain content. You can also define User Content folders. If someone were to send you a project file referencing certain items you might have in common, like an Xfrog plant library or terrain file, you could have a User Content folder pointing to the location on your hard drive that you keep that and the relevant files would be found. That's just a basic description. Essentially you have a standard location which is for Planetside provided stuff, whatever that might be, and the opportunity to define other places to be searched for project resources. All the stuff in the preferences works, but it isn't yet hooked up to into the file loading stuff on what you might call the project side of things.

This stuff still does require that you put things in certain folders and doesn't help with locating files which are moved willy-nilly. We could do that on the Mac, but I think it would be more difficult to do on Windows and then to store things in project files so that file references are at least somewhat meaningful cross platform is something else again. Not insurmountable, but not super easy either.

All this Library and Content stuff is kind of the base level of the functionality we envisage. At some point we will have a browseable Library and whatnot, but what is represented in the Preferences is the lowest level of this future system. The folders you define in the Preferences would be searched for items to be place in a Library UI, for example.

Regards,

Jo

twistednoodle

I'm so glad I found this topic this question has been burning a hole in my head!  Ok I should place all my files necessary for a particular image (tex, ter, objs etc) in one folder so TGTP can find it.  I had been wondering if I should do that but was concerned about all the duplication.... but if it fixes it for now I'll give it a go.  I really like the idea about the library sounds like a similar set up for graphic progs like PSP which allows you to have a list of file sources for tubes, brushes etc. Good stuff.  ;D
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!