Population issues

Started by Syagre, June 01, 2007, 09:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syagre

I've recently come up with my first TG 2 picture (there is a link in the Image sharing section) but I had some issues with adding populations.
Actually, I've been using the free version of the tech preview, which limits the number of populations to 3 for rendering. However, the trouble was that if I saved any .tgd file containing more than 1 population (though, less than 3), it wasn't possible for me to re-open that file later on (i.e. TG 2 seems to crah when opening the file).
Is it a TG2 bug which requires correction, or does it belong to the limitations of the free version ? (the error message mentions an invalid token...)

rcallicotte

Post the actual error here as well as share the TGD, if possible.

Quote from: Syagre on June 01, 2007, 09:53:38 AM
I've recently come up with my first TG 2 picture (there is a link in the Image sharing section) but I had some issues with adding populations.
Actually, I've been using the free version of the tech preview, which limits the number of populations to 3 for rendering. However, the trouble was that if I saved any .tgd file containing more than 1 population (though, less than 3), it wasn't possible for me to re-open that file later on (i.e. TG 2 seems to crah when opening the file).
Is it a TG2 bug which requires correction, or does it belong to the limitations of the free version ? (the error message mentions an invalid token...)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

This is not a problem we are aware of. Many people are using the free version with populations and have not yet reported this. As Calico said providing more information will help us diagnose it. Please include your computer specifications, operating system version, Technology Preview version (Help->About Terragen 2 and look for the build number at the top) and some information about your population and scene (number of instances, size of population, object used and the source of the object, etc.).

- Oshyan

helentr

Syagre,

Does the path to the population files include any letter with an accent?

Helen

Syagre

Well, here is the error message.
Quite probably, Helen must have found the source of the problem: the file works fine as long as I have only my grass population, whose path doesn't bear any accent. However, my other population files are under a "Users\Cédric\Images\..." directory, and I start having problems when I add those ones.
Should I start blaming french first names ?  :P

Oshyan

Yes, that explains it. TG2 doesn't handle accented and other non-"standard" characters yet. I suggest you keep your TG2 files in a subdirectory of your root drive for now, if possible. In other words something like C:\Terragen\ This problem will be resolved in the future.

- Oshyan