TG3 node appearance bug with TG2 files?

Started by billhd, July 30, 2013, 10:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billhd

Upon opening a TG2 .tgd in TG3 (Mac),  I see that some of the nodes have a double outline.  This makes seeing a lot of nodes when zoomed out difficult.  Is this an emergent feature?  Screen snip of network attached...anomalously outlined nodes on right. 

cyphyr

Not a bug a new feature :)
This shows that the nodes are not "captured" by the group they are in. Select all the nodes. Drag them away from the group and back in. The group will flash gold. Release and the nodes will look normal again. They will also be "captured by the group so you can move them all about at once and "d" switch them on or off all at once. To "release the nodes simply drag them out side the group. The old method of capturing and releasing nodes still works (Right click on the Groups header)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

billhd

Thanks...got the hang of that.  It seemed though that in one file the behavior went back to the outline only when I dragged back into an imported (TG2) group, was ok with a native TG3 group .  Could not replicate with another old file, so I'm good.  Much appreciated!

Oshyan

You can also just right-click the Group and choose Capture Nodes, if they're already over the group area (which they would be if they're highlighted in this way).

- Oshyan

billhd

Thanks Oyshan and Richard for your responses, I realized that I had groups within groups so the larger ones were attempting to stake claim to contained nodes too; one has to pay attention to multiply nested groups with this new functionality.  Sometimes I use groups and don't capture their contents, they are useful for centering and zooming to a region via list selection.  Bill

billhd

jo

Hi,

I'm going to explain a little bit about the node grouping, and another message refers to this thread so I'll post it here.

The double outline shows when a node is over a group but not grouped by it. In TG2 this didn't really matter. However in TG3 there are some things which depend on nodes being in certain groups, particularly Object and Lighting groups in Render Layers, so it was felt there needed to be some way to indicate whether a node is grouped or not.

The grouping indication is not infallible. For example there may be situations where a node is grouped but shows the outline when its group is moved over another group, or as someone mentioned, multiply nested groups. We will improve this in the future.

cyphyr explained the grouping methods well. Along with the grouping methods from TG2 (capturing nodes with a group or using the Group menu command), TG3 also introduces drag and drop grouping. You can drag a node into a group to group it. The group highlights and flashes to show it will group the node if the node is dropped there. To ungroup a node simply drag it out of the group.

Regards,

Jo