TG3 and SDTS Files

Started by mash, August 02, 2013, 10:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mash

Hi, I know the dem loader was updated but was 10 meter SDTS (Spatial Data Transfer Standard) Dem from places like www.geocomm.com included?
I just tried it in TG3 free version and it wouldn't load.
I know it wouldn't load in TG2 and had to be converted I was just wondering if anything had changed.
Thanks.

RArcher

I believe that loading Geo-referenced data is a TG3 Professional feature which is likely why it didn't work in the free version.

Oshyan

What kind of data is in your SDTS file? From what I can see SDTS mostly holds vector data which TG3 does not currently support (no vector data is supported, not just SDTS). If it is heightfield (raster) data, it may be an unsupported format. The TG3 feature that is limited to the Professional version is georeferencing, but supported DEM data will still load in non-Professional versions.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

A list of the formats supported by the Geog heightfield load node is linked to from its docs page:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Geog_Heightfield_Load

The formats link is in the second paragraph. SDTS raster data should be supported although I haven't tried it. If you can give me a link to somewhere I can download an SDTS DEM easily I will try it myself.

Regards,

Jo

mash

HI, I was trying to load a 1:240000 10 meter DEM  from the Geo Community web site

http://data.geocomm.com/catalog/index.

The data is free you just need to sign up for an account.

Here is a sample of the text portion that comes with the file

ITEM_TYPE: SDTS DEM - 7.5X7.5 GRID
CELL_NAME: Anthracite Range
STATE: CO
MRC_CODE: 38107-G2
BEST_AVAILABLE: T
SALEABLE: T
DATA_LEVEL: 2
X_RESOLUTION: 10
Y_RESOLUTION: 10
XY_UNITS: Meter
Z_RESOLUTION: .100
Z_UNITS: Meter
ORIG_LOAD_DATE: 05-FEB-03
CREATE_DATE: 05-FEB-03
PUBLICATION_DATE: 06-FEB-03
SOURCE_DATE: 1958
INSP_REV_DATE: 2002
INSP_REV_NAME: Inspection
HORIZONTAL_DATUM: North American Datum of 1927
PROJECTION: Transverse Mercator
ZONE: 13
VERTICAL_DATUM: NGVD 1929
DIGITAL_FORMAT_SPEC: DEM SDTS (Part 5: Raster Profile and Extensions (RPE))
STANDARDS_NAME: Standards for Digital Elevation Models 01/98 Specifications
PROCESS_STEP: DLG/Hypsography LINETRACE, LT4X Complex Linear
MIN_ELEVATION: 2413
MAX_ELEVATION: 3789
SUSPECT_VOID: 0
PERCENT_VOID: 0
LARGE_CONTOUR_INT:
SMALL_CONTOUR_INT: 40
CONTOUR_UNITS: Foot
RMSE: 0
SAMPLE_SIZE: 30
NORTH_LATITUDE: 38.875000
SOUTH_LATITUDE: 38.750000
WEST_LONGITUDE: -107.250000
EAST_LONGITUDE: -107.125000

The extension of the file format is .DDF

jo

Hi,

I've tried loading an SDTS file and it did load. You need to choose the file with a name like XXXCATD.DDF, which is mentioned on the GDAL formats page linked to in the docs.

I did notice that the size of the DEM is set up differently in the Free and licensed version so I will look into fixing that.

Regards,

Jo

mash

Ahh ok Thanks. I was loading the biggest file assuming that was the Dem file itself.
User error :)

In case anyone else runs into this, The CATD.DDF file is usually the first file in the list of files.
on my computer it's around 2KB.