Small red icon?

Started by choronr, August 19, 2013, 07:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

I noted the small red icon (under the compass) while maneuvering around in a terrain. Had this several times before. Probably appears because I'm running into an obstruction. However, what sometimes appears as a fairly flat area, I still get the icon while lowering the camera. Are there other reasons for the icon to pop up?

Oshyan

It is intended to show when you are under terrain. Sometimes being under the terrain is not obvious from the 3D preview itself; it may look like you are above it, but in fact you are under/inside. I am not certain the "under preview" indicator is always accurate at smaller scales, but in general it is.

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks Oshyan. In my situation, It appears I'm well above the terrain.

Will keep navigating until I find a good POV.

Matt

Sometimes horizontal displacement will fool the system into thinking you're under the terrain when you're not, or vice versa.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

choronr

Thanks Matt, thought I was losing my mind.

Dune

When in doubt about being inside a rocky wall or you want the camera just off a canyon wall or something it's quite easy to have a look at the camera from another POV. But don't click the left camera setting button then!

choronr

Quote from: Dune on August 20, 2013, 02:34:00 AM
When in doubt about being inside a rocky wall or you want the camera just off a canyon wall or something it's quite easy to have a look at the camera from another POV. But don't click the left camera setting button then!
Could you detail this explanation just a bit more Ulco?

Dune

Just move your viewpoint away from the render camera in the preview and turn around to see the render camera. Then see where it's at. Does that explain it?

choronr

Thanks Ulco, I'll give that a try.