Micro exporter not generating texture maps, right?

Started by alessandro, August 26, 2013, 11:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessandro

Reading the documentation I understood that the micro exporter doesn't generate texture maps (only UV coords), so I was guessing if there is an alternative method to do it?
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

jo

Hi Alessandro,

The only way to export textures is to use an orthographic camera to do a top-down render. I think if you did a search of the forum you would find more information about that. However I think it would be a bit tricky to get it to line up with data exported via the micro exporter.

The idea of the micro exporter is to export geometry that can be used as a stand-in for the terrain in other apps. Let's say you were animating and rendering an object in another app. You could use the exported geometry to help make a motion path and also use it to receive or cast shadows etc. for rendering the object. You could then import the motion path back into TG and use that to render the environmental part of the scene. After that you could composite the rendered object from the other app with the frames rendered by TG. Most of TG's export capabilities are aimed at this sort of workflow, rather than being aimed at making it possible to render a scene created in TG in another app, for example.

Regards,

Jo

alessandro

Matt

The texture render doesn't need to be orthographic though. You could render an image from a camera (perhaps the same one you exported the geometry from), export the camera via FBX, and then apply the texture using camera projection.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

alessandro

Indeed. I still think that if TG could export the texture along the obj mesh would be a terrific feature to be used with other external applications.