Project Gathering Issue

Started by ares2101, August 31, 2013, 02:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ares2101

I've only recently started using the Gather Project feature, as I'm trying to consolidate some folders and don't want my projects screwed up.  I successfully gathered up a dozen projects I expect to render in higher resolutions one day, but am having an issue with just one of them.  There are no Errors or Warnings, the gather window reports that all assets are ready to gather, but it just says "There was a problem" when I try to gather it. 

What could be making a project with no errors unable to be gathered?  It's an old TG2 project.  I would just bite the bullet and redo all the plant populations from the new directories, but population instancing apparently does not show up in a project made with TG2.

jaf

Strange.  There were no problems indicated in red text when preparing the export?
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

ares2101

No errors or warnings, all green across the board, just says there was a problem doing the export.  Absolutely no information given as to why.

cyphyr

Try reloading the gathered project and see what's missing. It's probably some of the internal surface/image maps of an object file or possibly an unsupported character in an asset name.
As a rule of thumb I try not to have any spaces in my path of file names.
richard

Ah just read your post properly ... Biting the bullet is probably your best bet since the new object peculators work slightly differently that the old ones. Also do you have the old TG2 that you made the project still installed. It may be worth loading the original project in there and doing a "Project gather" from there.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

ares2101

Quote from: cyphyr on August 31, 2013, 10:34:28 PM
Ah just read your post properly ... Biting the bullet is probably your best bet since the new object peculators work slightly differently that the old ones. Also do you have the old TG2 that you made the project still installed. It may be worth loading the original project in there and doing a "Project gather" from there.

My first attempt at gathering this project actually was in TG2, as it's part of a trio of images I'm particularly fond of and wanted to be sure I could access it later.  I've tried again after installing TG3 and the result is identical.  It's weird, as I've gathered other projects that first needed fixing and those worked afterwards, but there's nothing apparently wrong here and it won't work.  I think I'll just do a really big render of this one in cropped pieces and hope it doesn't take too long.  I'm definitely going to make it a point to gather every project I do from now on though, to avoid stuff like this in the future.

jaf

So you're saying it would render fine -- just the gathering is a problem?  Why not render out a tiny version, maybe 400x300 or whatever your aspect ratio is and see if everything is there and there are no errors or warnings?

Another option is the run it through the command line executable and pipe the dialog to a text file.  Maybe you could spot something there. 
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

ares2101

Quote from: jaf on September 01, 2013, 10:22:33 AM
So you're saying it would render fine -- just the gathering is a problem?  Why not render out a tiny version, maybe 400x300 or whatever your aspect ratio is and see if everything is there and there are no errors or warnings?

Another option is the run it through the command line executable and pipe the dialog to a text file.  Maybe you could spot something there.

I've got a GI cache rendering now, no errors so far.  I could try the tiny render idea later, just to be sure.

jaf

I was just thinking the tiny render would save time.  If there was an asset problem, the render size wouldn't matter.

jo

Hi,

Project gathering is quite a complicated business. Even if all the assets are shown as ready to go there can still be issues doing the various things need to actually collect all the files together. If you can tell me the exact error text I might be able to narrow things down a bit. However my suspicion is that it is one of three things:

1) There's been a problem copying the asset files to the destination folder
2) There's been a problem copying the project file to the destination folder
3) There was a problem setting up the gathered project file.

Are you seeing any files copied to the destination folder? Is there anything different with the destination folder or the disk it's on compared to the other projects you've gathered successfully?

Trying turning on the option to generate an asset report. If this is created and some entries are added it may hint at which asset is having trouble.

Regards,

Jo

ares2101

It was probably some odd problem with one thing in particular, likely specific to this project given that none of my other projects showed this issue.  Some stuff was copied, the asset report was made.  Turns out the image in question did not require a lengthy render, it's been awhile since I did the original 1920x1080 so I had forgotten that.  I successfully did a 4K render which turned out nicely.  Hopefully I won't run into this issue again, provided I make a habit of doing gathers right away when a project is completed and not allow any time for issues to appear.

Just in case anyone wants to know what this was all for: http://aresjohnson.deviantart.com/art/Fiarro-Minor-Oasis-4K-397463707