Default settings, bounding box

Started by Grassynoel, November 18, 2013, 03:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassynoel

Hi guys,
My default scene is pretty much the terragen default but I have a low poly human at 0,0,0. I find having human scale is really helpful to let me know if I'm looking at a boulder or a pebble sometimes. It's like how sketchup starts, with a human as a scale reference point.

When I start terragen the object defaults back to bounding box which is annoying. Is there any override for this?

Thanks,
Glenn

jo

Hi Glenn,

Do you mean that the 3D Preview object display mode defaults to bounding box? There isn't a way to change that. It's something to think about though.

Regards,

Jo

Grassynoel

Exactly.

I'd vote for a default human model as well, There's a Utah teapot object already so I can't imagine a low poly human would be hard. :)

Glenn

jo

Hi,

Yes, I've thought about having a default human but we need a model we can freely distribute.

The teapot is actually built into OpenGL and that's why it's only drawn in the 3D Preview and can't be rendered.

Regards,

Jo

Grassynoel

It wouldn't be hard to get a human under creative commons from Makehuman.
http://www.makehuman.org/
My woman is a very low poly object which started out in Zbrush but has been simplified and reworked in Blender. She's very light on polys which is what you need.

Glenn

TheBadger

Agree with OP about the sketchup method. It is highly effective tool. But I think in that case it is a simple billboard? It always faces the same way, one sided. Works just fine for this purpose. So really all we need is a card object with an image of a man/woman on it... Right?.. well, Im sure making it work is more complex as far as programming. But thats the idea right?

Jo, I will gladly make something for you. You can have all rights unconditionally at no cost whatsoever. Just tell me what you need, and how you need it. Something you can put into TG and it will always be there like the landmarks, although renderable would be very nice.
It has been eaten.

Grassynoel

Here's an illustration of how hard it is to tell.

Which figure is 1.8m (6 foot) tall?

It's A but B looks correct too even though she's a monster size.

Glenn

Dune

I'd rather have a human landmark than a teapot (never use it).

Kevin F

I thought the default sphere object was the recommended reference, being 1 meter tall (diam).

Grassynoel

I guess a sphere is okay, but nothing says scale like a human. A sphere could be a planet or a marble.

Dune

Though.... a sphere of 1m is a sphere of 1m, but a human... is it a pygmee or the giant from Russia (2.4m)?

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Grassynoel

I'd vote for the VW! With a Pygmy driving and a 1 meter sphere in the back.  ;)

Anything is fine. We're a little off topic (my own fault) but thanks, I think if the default could be toggled to show OBJ's in shaded mode rather than just bounding box, I'd be happy.

Thanks

Glenn

TheBadger

That woman looks like she could rip the arms off of a brown bear.
Amazonians still work better than a sphere though.

I think the tea pot is only useful for brits.

It has been eaten.

jo

If we decide to add a human we'll take a look at the options suggested here, thanks.

The teapot is included simply because it's built into OpenGL, it was as easy to include as some of the more useful shapes and it amused me. Plus I drink a lot of tea :-).

Regards,

Jo