Back on TG3 (finally)... newbie questions

Started by alessandro, November 27, 2013, 01:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessandro

Ok, I finally have some time to get back studying TG3. I have a question (apologies if has been already discussed earlier, but I couldn't find any information).
Are .OBJ imported terrains able to be populated somehow, as I recall it wasn't possible directly. If not, any way to convert those to a .ter or sort of file that TG3 can populate?
Thanks
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

TheBadger

You cannot populate an object yet. But as I understand it, that is one of the things near the top of their todo lists.

I dont know how to convert an obj to ter. But *I think* I remember people writing about doing that. Maybe some more searching in the forum... The information may be in a thread that started as a different subject.
One thing I know that can be done is using mudbox/z-brush to make a displacement map from the object (vector). But it may be more work than is worth it to get the object you already have, to grow out of the plane you will have to use.

Another option is to populate the object in another program and import all, but this too may be more trouble than its worth.

In general, its is usually a hassale to adjust after the fact. It may be simpler to start over and build with the boundaries of TG in mind to begin with.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

We will have "populate on object" in a future update. I assume that's what you mean by "populating an imported OBJ terrain" (you could of course "populate" the OBJ, i.e. make instances of it). It's generally strongly not recommended to import terrains as an object if you can avoid it because procedural functions work much better as planetary displacement. Object support is intended primarily to support discreet objects like plants, rocks, vehicles, etc.

What's the original source of your terrain?

- Oshyan

alessandro

Hi Oshyan, yes I meant to populate on an imported 3d model. I usually model in ZBrush and Modo: ZBrush can export vector displacement maps, but I've not found yet how (and if it's possible) to use those in TG3.

Oshyan

There is a whole thread about using vector displacement maps, I believe a Zbrush workflow is discussed:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16110.0.html

And this may also be relevant: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16183.0.html

If you can get it to work, that would probably be your best workflow.

- Oshyan

alessandro

Thanks a lot, will study those.

PabloMack

Quote from: TheBadger on November 27, 2013, 04:37:05 PMYou cannot populate an object yet.

I think you mean you cannot populate a height field yet. From my experience, height fields are not adjusted so that their local verticals are normal to the planet's surface. Also, objects do not add to the terrain's horizon. Height fields do. (Please correct me if I'm in error!) I haven't used vector displacement maps so I have no opinion on that.

alessandro

A height field can be populated with trees or other objects.

Oshyan

Pablo, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "objects do not add to the terrain's horizon". You are correct that heightfields currently displace relative to Y, rather than terrain/planet normal, but this will be an option in a future update. Other than that, you can populate and do most anything else with heightfields that you can with procedural terrains.

- Oshyan