Film "The Purge"

Started by TheBadger, October 10, 2013, 03:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Just saw this piece of crap tonight.
Man what a terrible flick. I thought the idea sounded like it would be at lest intense, and it has ethan hawke, so I thought it would be somewhat intelligent (not sure why now), but its total crap.
Plus Im sick so I did not want to drive to the vid store, and I payed more to rent it on itunes. What a waste of time and money... For me and the people who made the movie.

Basically the plot is that in a "new" America, one time a year for 12 hours, there is no law. That part sounded like an interesting vehicle. But then they just go for a simple mined "America is violence centric" sort of bla bla bla.

The reasons they give for the new nation and new tradition are just asinine. The asses who made this turd even open the film with lots of videos taken from the news and web of real people being hurt and killed mixed in with their own fake clips. Probably I could let that slide if the purge had any redeming value at all, but its just sucks so bad. What a bunch of moral hypocrites.

Hollywood really is a hole in the earth.

It has been eaten.

PabloMack

I watched a trailer on YouTube and decided it was junk. Sorry for your lost time and money.

AP

What baffles me is why would everyone all of a sudden decide to become violent when the authorities are removed for a short time as if we are all mindless monsters out to murder one another just because the Cops will not show up. The mere premise is unrealistic and ridiculous. Besides, what is stopping the already violent people from getting away with this behavior, not much because when seconds matters, the Cops are only minutes away.

TheBadger

Quotebecause when seconds matters, the Cops are only minutes away
Unless your in Detroit. There your wait will be a bit longer.

I guess the movie is saying once the poor murder them selves into extinction, then the wealthy can feel more free to indulge there own blood lusts. OR something.
Its just such a bad movie though. Even the acting editing and cinematography is noticeably off.
It has been eaten.

JimB

It's a blatant attack on the Tea Party, the NRA and the batshit crazy that's infiltrated the American Right. The Sarah Palin masks are a clue.

See it, it's very good: well shot, well edited, well acted and well directed ;)
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

fleetwood

I like to pick movies on the spur of the moment based on my own instincts and don't like too much fore knowledge. So I don't mind the occasional clinker, in fact I like a lot of bad movies if they have some odd appeal or are unintentionally funny.

But if you're spending money you could consult something like the Rotten Tomatoes site and when you see that neither the "serious" critics nor the audience like a movie it can give you a clue that maybe that movie is one to be careful of. The Purge rates no more than 38% approval over there from any group of watchers you pick.

TheBadger

Welcome Back Jim!! I didn't think you took fun in fighting with me anymore. Hope you'll be around more. And no, thats not sarcasm.

Fleetwood is right, this movie sucks balls.

A better movie would be where President Obama saves a cancer patient from cancer, by dropping a bomb on him from a drone. Obama-care cadillac plan! 6million for the missile, 25 million for the reaper. Cost of being cancer free... priceless!

Sarah Palin is funny. What she really says about  America today is not that Tea party people are fools. But that people think Progressivism is so bad, that even sara pallen would be better  ;) Heck, a hellfire missile enema would be better. Sadly now though, where Americans used to get it in the butt for free, now we cant afford it at all. THe dollar just ain't what it used to be.

It has been eaten.

JimB

I prefer to make my own mind up. I've lost count of the number of films that were slagged off and turned out to be a gem, even on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. Take The Lone Ranger, which was panned by critics and at RT on release (RT rating currently at 31%): saw it the other night and loved it. What's not to love about the tale of an honest man and reader of Keynes fighting greedy capitalists in a funny and outrageously OTT action romp?  ;)
Some bits and bobs
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

JimB

Quote from: TheBadger on December 29, 2013, 02:55:10 PM
A better movie would be where President Obama saves a cancer patient from cancer, by dropping a bomb on him from a drone.

Which is far less likely than what happens in The Purge  ;)
Some bits and bobs

fleetwood

I too, liked humor of The Lone Ranger. Saw it in the theater without any pre-formed ideas about what it would be.
Suspect people with "expectations" were the ones who didn't like it.

TheBadger

Quote from: JimB on December 30, 2013, 07:48:34 AM
Quote from: TheBadger on December 29, 2013, 02:55:10 PM
A better movie would be where President Obama saves a cancer patient from cancer, by dropping a bomb on him from a drone.

Which is far less likely than what happens in The Purge  ;)

I know you were gone for a while Jim. But where have you been, the moon?
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/opinion/the-drone-that-killed-my-grandson.html?_r=0

And not even for something as nobel as curing cancer.
It has been eaten.

Seth

Quote from: ChrisC on October 10, 2013, 10:54:44 PM
What baffles me is why would everyone all of a sudden decide to become violent when the authorities are removed for a short time as if we are all mindless monsters out to murder one another just because the Cops will not show up. The mere premise is unrealistic and ridiculous. Besides, what is stopping the already violent people from getting away with this behavior, not much because when seconds matters, the Cops are only minutes away.

I didn't watch that movie, but I am pretty sure there will be a lot of wild crazy people in the streets if there was no law :)
Maybe I'll be taking care of some unfinished business by myself by then...

TheBadger

Going to see the Loan Ranger tonight. I am glad to hear that you guys liked it. I thought it would be good, just did not want to pay to see it in the theater. If its good like you say, Im sure it will make its money in video sales, I would hope.

@seth, Go easy on em' man. You know what they say about revenge! Two graves and all that.
Also, post an image! Have not seen any of your latest stuff. Have you been making anything?
It has been eaten.

AP

Quote from: Seth on December 30, 2013, 08:19:01 PM
Quote from: ChrisC on October 10, 2013, 10:54:44 PM

I didn't watch that movie, but I am pretty sure there will be a lot of wild crazy people in the streets if there was no law :)
Maybe I'll be taking care of some unfinished business by myself by then...

But, again. What is stopping folks from being wild and crazy now? Most of our laws do very little and are nothing more then rules with a gun by the monopoly of force. In a stateless society you can have rules without rulers, there would would be natural law, not law that violates morality and the non-aggression principle. Larken Rose and Josie Outlaw are better at explaining this then I am.

PabloMack

I think a lot of people would start taking the law into their own hands. Neighbors would form aliances and make and enforce their own form of local "community law". And "justice" would be a lot more swift than it is in our present legal system. If people were law abiding citizens before, they would think twice before doing criminal acts. But, of course, those who were already criminals would still be criminals and would be encouraged to commit even more crime. However, vigilanteism justice would be swift and so many of these people would be eliminated more quickly than they are now. So things may not go to hell like you might think it would. In general, most people want order and law and that would not change even if anarchy came about from social colapse.