Objects appearing below the surface.

Started by choronr, January 08, 2014, 01:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Never had this happen before. I believe I have everything set correctly. Yet some, if not most of the pop instances are are below the surface.

Object populations in the distance are OK; but, those in the foreground are partially below the surface. I took a single object and placed it in the foreground, clicked and dragged to towards the bottom and it begins to disappear as it gets to about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the preview window. Anyone ever run into this and have a possible remedy? It's driving me nuts! 

Oshyan

Sounds like it *might* be a 3D preview draw distance issue. Try the bracket keys [ and ] and see if there is any difference (press [ several times for example).

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks Oshyan. Tried that and it did not make a difference. Another side issue: regardless of what model I use, the colors are flat - no depth.

Oshyan

Might you be able to provide a screenshot of either problem? Objects may literally be going below the terrain surface. You can try the D key to drop to terrain...

- Oshyan

choronr

I will try that Oshyan. Will get back tomorrow since I'm getting ready to drop off for the night. I'll provide a screen clip tomorrow. Thanks, and I'll get back.

choronr

Oshyan, as you can see in the crop, objects are sunk below the terrain; also, floating above terrain, and when rendered, regardless of the model, the colors are flat and muddy. The sun is high at 45 degrees and to the left. Ive tried many different set ups to no avail. When I place individual objects, they seem to be OK except the colors are still bad.

Oshyan

This looks like the old "you need to reference a later shader in your shader chain" issue for your population "sit on terrain" shader. Or add another Compute Terrain. I know you've dealt with those issues before Bob. Have you tried that stuff?

The "muddy colors" is a completely separate issue and really shouldn't be tackled before fixing the first issue, and would also need a rendered example to see what you mean.

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks Oshyan, I think I've remedied the first issue by by swinging the POV somewhat to the left ...sorry for the false alarm. As for the plants, they all are very dark and will have to do some experimenting with the diffuse colors and other items. I can see a lot more work ahead on this one.