Latitude/Longitude positioning: possible?

Started by alessandro, January 24, 2014, 12:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessandro

There is a way to lay an object using latitude/longitude? I ask because I've a .dem based terrain and I need to position objects very precisely on it. Thanks
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

gregsandor

Alessandro,

No, but it is possible to precisely locate objects.  Set your .dem, then use the highest resolution orthophoto you have, then add your object, and using an orthographic camera directly overhead take turns rendering the spot and adjusting the location of your object until it lines up with the spot on the terrain where it belongs.

Greg

alessandro

Right, that was what I'd have done if (unfortunately not) the orthophoto provided matched the .dem correctly. Thanks anyway for the hint.

gregsandor

What are you trying to place, and where is the terrain located?

alessandro

It's in Italy, location Punta Mesco. Awesome seaside place. Unfortunately the data available for that area is really fuzzy.

gregsandor

You can also overlay topographical maps if you can find them in higher quality than aerial photos.  There are many ways to overcome fuzzy data.

alessandro

I'll ask the customer if they can find some of those, otherwise I'm kinda stuck.  :D

Oshyan

Are the orthophotos you have georeferenced? The next version of Terragen will be able to properly position georeferenced images...

- Oshyan