The default shader: opacity vs. translucency?

Started by jfmoyen, January 02, 2007, 07:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfmoyen

Ok, subject says all.. Could somebody give me some explanations re. the differences between both... and, since we're at it, is there somewhere a presentation of the features and options of the default shader? I'm not quite sure I understand what it is doing, apart from the basics (change color..).

Thanks

JF

Njen

A quick google would give you answers about translucency.
http://www.google.com/search?q=translucency&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a
(2nd entry)

And since both are not supported by TG2 in the tech preview at the moment, you don't have to worry about either of them ;)

jfmoyen

Quote from: njen on January 02, 2007, 08:25:50 AM
A quick google would give you answers about translucency.
http://www.google.com/search?q=translucency&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a
(2nd entry)

Hmm, I read your link, I'm not quite sure I see the difference with opacity still. Translucency corresponds to scatter of the light (or at least of some colors), whereas opacity is just blocking of the rays ?

And since both are not supported by TG2 in the tech preview at the moment, you don't have to worry about either of them ;)

Good point... :)  But I just read a tutorial: [link expired]

In this tutorial (page 8), we place a fern, and the author indicates how to specify both a translucency and an opacity image... I'm puzzled ?

JF

Njen

In the simplest terms, opacity deals with how visable an object is. Translucency deals with how much light can pass through the object, and how much it absorbs and sends back out at alternative angles.

Oshyan

Opacity is similar to "alpha" in other programs. It controls visibility of the surface. Translucency is a simple fake for the effect of translucency - light transmission through a material. It helps if you use it on leaves and other foliage to make them look less solid and more realistic. The translucency input just controls the level of transparency via an image map rather than simply specifying a level for it.

- Oshyan